Student Senate Needs Election Reform

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

According to the candidates in the Student Senate Election debate, only 15 percent of KU Students vote. So why isn’t Senate itself doing more to increase voter turnout and student involvement? Student Senate elections themselves take a large amount of time and for some reason, the Elections Commission isn’t making it easier for students to represent themselves and their school.

At the most recent Elections Commission hearing, ten violations were presented against the coalitions. And the rules are hard to follow. For instance, according to Student Senate Rules and Regulations, signatures cannot be gathered within academic building within classrooms, but can be gathered in the hallways. Obviously, the rules are set up this way in order to create safe environments for learning, but unfortunately rules such as these discourage candidates and make it harder for students to participate in elections. Recently, one of the Coalitions was fined $100 for leaving buttons on a table unattended. That should not be labeled a violation of rules, it should be called forgetfulness.Coalitions also aren’t allowed to pass out t-shirts, or “actively table” until soon before the Election. Good news for those of you who don’t care, most of the Senate Coalitions CANNOT approach you. Bad news for democracy at our university. If no one is can talk to you in person about the election, how do more people know when to vote, who they want to vote for, or even that they CAN vote? Candidates can’t even hand out t-shirts. They can’t be worn by non-candidates. If the only people actively promoting Student Senate elections are those who want to be involved, than what is the point of a campaign at all? No one will vote except for the friends of the candidates. That’s not representative of this university. Even chalking for elections has rules. They actually made rules about chalk on sidewalks.

If coalitions can’t easily represent themselves, than why would students who don’t believe that senate is for them get involved? Our Elections system is flawed, that’s not to say it’s broken. Important rules such as a $1,000 cap on spending and mandatory meetings for all candidates are necessary.  Reform Student Senate Election rules and then expect more students to participate.

* All Student Senate Rules and Regulations can be found here.