My Favorite 90’s Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

I grew up in the 90’s so its possible that I am biased. Even though, I go back through some of my baby photos and think what were my parents thinking? Though, the 90’s weren’t all bad. I can honestly say we grew up in the best time possible for cartoons. The cartoons today, don’t even compare to 90’s cartoons. Our society has come along way since then, but we can’t help but reminsce on the death of a beeper! But besides that point, let’s talk about some fashion!

Overalls

No I am not kidding by the way. I think these are one trend that you can wear every once in awhile. Especially, if they are overall shorts. I feel that always bring a little kick to any top on. Or you could just wear a bra and nothing else like they did back then. It is always nice for those casual days, when you wanna throw something on. This one is from forever 21. 

Midriff Tops

I could see this trend just inching its way back in. The best part about it is, if you have a rocking bod its easier to show off them abs. Some people may call it trashy, but I think its fun. It could be dressed up or dressed down. It also makes every outfit edgier. With summer around the corner, the heat starts to rise and your clothes start to disappear. This trend will keep you cool in that summer heat. I love this outfit below because it just has that rocker edge, with a touch of classy (referring to the sock bun). 

Doc Martens

No, I do no think these shoes were ugly. They were actually pratical. I mean they are a little bit heavy, but that never hurt anybody, Right? I felt it always added a quirkiness to an outfit. I mean they way they make them now, it is even more stylish. I find the floral ones pretty adorable. Who makes shoes like Doc Martens, in this day in age? They are irreplacable. I remember having a couple pairs when I was younger.

Headbands

Though I never really think they went out of style. I guess they were always my favorite because they pay homage to every era in history. I mean I think of how they went from covering your whole head to just being a thin band around your head. I mean it has a common use for girls who workout now. They are also great for a bad hair day, which I have a lot of. 

Big Hair

Last, but not least, BIG HAIR! Hairspray was your best friend back then. How else did they get that big piece of teased hair to stay up throughout the day? I pay homage to the wavy haired girls, because I am one myself. I just think the hair in the 90’s made the whole outfit complete. I mean there were some crazy hairstyle. I think of when Gwen Stefani being the first person to color her hair Blue. So to all the girls who love big hair, this one is for you and no Snooki hair doesn’t count.