Musical Movies You Probably Aren’t Ready For…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

So as many of you may have heard, we have some move adaptations of really amazing musicals coming out soon. Annie, Into the Woods, The Last Five Years and Cinderella will be out before you know it and for the musical lover that lies somewhere deep within all of us, that’s a big frickin’ deal! But for those of you who didn’t make it in to your high school’s musical, it’s ok, I’ve got your back.

Up first is “Annie”: Coming out December 19th, this one comes with quite a bit of controversy. The much anticipated “Urban Annie,” as many are calling it, is produced by some big names. Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and even Jay-Z. There’s a lot sitting on the shoulders of young Quvenzhane Wallis as she portrays the once red headed Annie that most of us grew up with, but with her big hair and fierce personality I think we’ll see a much more modern Annie. Oh and don’t forget Jamie Foxx and crazy Cameron Diaz’s breakthrough singing debut.

Next we have, my personal favorite, “Into the Woods”: Out on Christmas Day and I seriously cannot wait. They just released the first full length song for the movie featuring Anna Kendrick which you can find on Vanity Fair’s website if you click here! It’s great, she’s great, I just can’t. Anyways, for those of you that don’t jump at the title I’m sure you’d appreciate some background info. The story is set in a different world and centers around a cursed couple who seek a way out while also intertwining some of the most known fairytales of all time. Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella and Rapunzel all make their way in to this interesting twist on our beloved favorites as we follow them on their individual journeys to understanding the true power of wishing and its many consequences. Oh, did I forget to mention the amazing cast lineup? Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, Johhny Depp and Chris Pine (aka bae).

Coming out just shy of Valentine’s Day 2015 is “The Last Five Years.” Starring Anna Kendrick (are you starting to see a trend here?) and Jeremy Jordan. Anna Kendrick plays Cathy, a struggling actress and Jeremy Jordan plays an up and coming writer. The story starts out at the end of their marriage and flashes forward five years earlier to when they first met. The musical by Jason Robert Brown sports a really amazing culmination of songs and I highly recommend you take a look at 2013 Off-Broadway cast recording because Betsy Wolfe is by far the best Cathy. They also just released the first trailer which you can find here.

And finally the most mysterious of the bunch is “Cinderella.” We all know the story but knowing Disney, there’s bound to be a twist or two. The cast is pretty great with Lily James as Cinderella, Cate Blanchett as the wicked Stepmother and Helena Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother… Say what? We’re definitely in for a treat come March 13th, 2015. Here’s the trailer if you haven’t seen it yet!

(Meryl Streep Photo Credit)(Last Five Years Photo Credit)(Annie Photo Credit)