This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Kansas City is constantly stepping it up. We may be living in the Heart of the Midwest but there is no lack of style here. Last Saturday, 18th Street in Kansas City, Mo. was flooded with hundreds of spectators eagerly awaiting the start of the annual West 18th Street Fashion Show. This year’s show, Ceremonial Summer, was comprised of 14 local designers each showcasing five pieces. From some of the more abstract pieces to the more ready-to-wear styles, many of the works paralleled the trends that have been seen on larger runways around the world this season. 

Pastels have rocked many of the fashion shows stages this Spring and Summer. And pastel jumpsuits? Hot. 

Whether this is denim or not, I’m not quite sure. But it is in. Denim and chambray add a playful twist to any outfit.

Lace is classic, but playful, bold prints and standout collars have been huge this year. This skirt is killer. 

Again with the bold prints. Hugely popular this year. And a reversible printed kimono? Who could deny themselves of that. 

Game. Set. Match.

Have I mentioned that I love jumpsuits? Well the fashion world does too. Classic black with a racer-back cut is a sure fire way to flatter your figure. 

Asymmetrical, mesh paneling, maxi length, and a bold collar. This is one well-balanced piece right here. Sheer styles made a rise several years ago but they’ve been taken to a whole new level this year.

Again with the sheer, and this one has layered sheer. A fresh way to rock the style that is gaining mass popularity. And those accessories…wow. Aztec style jewelry is everywhere right now but these pieces put a refreshing twist on it

Look past the intriguing presentation for a moment and notice that this lingerie is smokin’. Strappy detailed, lace undergarments can be found pretty much anywhere right now.

Kansas City is giving rise to some serious talent and it is no surprise that people are starting to notice. What is refreshing about most of this season’s trends is their ability to easily be translated into street wear. Even the more avant garde looks are serving as serious inspiration. Keep an eye out everyone, KC is making waves. 

For more pictures from the show http://west18thstreetfashionshow.com/

All photos by Landon VonderSchmidt. 

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.