lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mary Guieb

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Name: Mary Guieb

Age: 19

Major: Biology: Ecology, Evolution, Organismal Biology

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Olathe, KS

Relationship Status: Taken

What’s your favorite quality in a significant other: “He has to have common sense. He can’t be an absolute idiot.”

What’s your biggest dating pet peeve: “When they start to show a very one-sided perspective. Like on controversial issues, I hate when people are so one-sided and can’t get off of what they think is right.”

What do you do for fun: “I love to rock climb! Except I totally suck at it and recently messed up my ankle, but I still like it a lot.”

Favorite book: “RIght now I’m reading this book called Smoke Get’s in Your Eyes by Caitlin Doughty. It’s a very different perspective on death and the whole funeral and mourning process from someone who is very detatched from it. God, this sounds really dark, I promise it’s not!”

Horror date story: “Oh my god, I love roasting this guy. So, I got super nice and dressed up in a gorgeous white tea time gown, nice jacket, the whole thing. He wore a nice suit and tie. We WALKED to the Mad Greek (I was in heels). I got the lamb, and it was awful and dry and gross, the conversation was horrible and dull and neither of us knew what to say. He kept telling me to “be myself” and I was like “I am???” We walked around after and my feet were hurting SO bad from the heels. My feet had blisters and we just went and watched netflix after instead of going to a movie like we had planned. It was the most boring and dull date of my life.”

Best date you’ve ever been on: “The best date I’ve ever been on was the first date with my current boyfriend. He picked me up at my house, came in and talked with my Dad (in high school), and then we drove to Taco Bell. I didn’t eat much because I was so nervous. At the time, he was my Assistant Manager at Cold Stone where we worked and I was his Crew Member so he was like “above” me. Then we drove down to the ice rink in Kansas City and were just skating and talking, which was nice because we were already friends. We tried to ease into the romantic part and were holding hands but it was more like he was just helping me stay stable while we were skating. I ended up like closing my eyes and sleeping the whole way home because I was so tired and he thought I thought he was boring! And then when we got home he asked me if I wanted a kiss! And when I said yes, he literally REACHED into his back seat and pulled out a bag of Hershey Kisses! THEN HE DIDN’T EVEN KISS ME! So we said goodnight, parted ways, and I’m eating the candy when he texted me and said how sorry he was that he didn’t kiss me because he was super nervous. Then the next day, we had to work together so we ended up getting lunch at Five Guys. We got burgers and he got one with all these onions. When we were in the car, he finally kissed me, though his mouth totally tasted like onions. It was worth it though, because I really liked him!”

Where do you see yourself in ten years: “Honestly, I have NO idea. I do want to be at a point where I’m in a stable career, I have a home, I have a vehicle, I’m responsibly paying bills, feeding myself at normal intervals. Maybe a pet? Hopefully in the relationship I have now still but more like “adulty.” I’m still really into my career and I want to create a world that’s more sustainable. Probably no kids.”

Favorite pick up line: “Are you a plain bagel? Because I like you with NOTHING on.”

What’s your ideal Friday night: “Chilling, no work, clean room. I don’t have any homework or quizzes and I’m eating Chipotle while watching Netflix with my boyfriend. That sounds pretty good.”

Favorite show to binge on Netflix: “I once watched all of Stranger Things within twelve hours. My boss told me to check it out and I was like “Okay, whatever” and then suddenly it’s four am and I’m still in it and there’s no turning back.”

Jacey Bishop currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief/President of Her Campus KU. In the past, she has served as the Development Director and the Events Director for HCKU, as well as serving as a content contributor for the past three years. Jacey is currently in her final year of study at KU for her Bachelors of Social Work and English, as well as a minor in Communications. She is very active on the KU campus, participating in Student Senate, Multicultural Scholars Program, She's the First, and KU Student Ambassadors. You can contact Jacey at jaceybishop@hercampus.com.