Lighter Party Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

When you go out, you don’t typically think about the amount of calories you are consuming with each
drink you enjoy. However, it is something that you might want be aware of. Did you know that each shot you take or each beer you drink is close to, if not more than, a 100 calories? Not to mention the possible mixed drinks and/or the different kinds of beer you might consume all in one night. Here are less calorie concentrated alcoholic beverage options, as well as the types of drinks you should stay away from.

Fewer calorie mixed drinks Drinks such as vodka water, a vodka tonic, or vodka/rum with a diet soda are going to be your best choice for mixed drinks. When it comes to vodka or rum with soda, make sure it is diet instead of regular. A mixed drink of vodka and regular Coke can top as much as 300 calories in just one drink. In comparison, one mixed drink of Bacardi with Diet Coke only has 66 calories.

Stay away from vodka with energy drinks Even if you drink vodka with the sugar free energy drinks, the amount of calories is still higher than you may think . In just one vodka with Red Bull you consume 366 calories, in addition to the high amounts of sugar. Even if you drink a vodka with sugar free Red Bull, you still consume 268 calories. 

Do not use soda as a chaser When you chase any shot with soda, you are consuming a lot of empty calories. The best option is some sort of 100% real fruit juice. At least you will consume some vitamins and antioxidants instead of completely empty calories. If you must use soda as a chaser, try to have at least have diet soda or lemon-lime soda to keep the calories in check.

Watch out for how many light beers you consume Yes, light beers have fewer calories than regular beers. However, a person may drink up to 5 light beers in comparison to only 1 heavier beer. Therefore, it is good to keep a careful watch on how many light beers you drink in one night because they are less filling. Because they have fewer calories, people subconsciously tend to think they can have more and the calories add up.

The other mixed drinks to stay away from Although Long Island Iced Teas and Margaritas might be more tasty than other alcoholic drinks, the calories in them are outrageous. Per one Long Island Iced Tea or Margarita you consume up to 780 calories – that is the equivalent to at least one whole meal!

Although it is good to be mindful as to the calorie content of alcoholic beverages, by no means is it wrong to splurge every once in a while and consume a drink that has a high amount of calories. It is beneficial to know just how many calories you consume per one drink, and make a plan to avoid consuming a lot more calories than you originally planned on. After all, who wants to consume 780 calories in only one drink ?

University of Kansas Journalism School Student