This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

KU’s very own Jennifer Salva is, in fact, Katniss Everdeen in true form. She camps, hunts, fishes, wields a compound bow and advocates for those who cannot always do so for themselves. She also happens to be Miss Topeka.

When Salva isn’t committing her time to her double major, she is preparing to represent Topeka in the Miss Kansas pageant that will take place June 1-7. With a background in sign language, she is also dedicated to pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Journalism, a Bachelor of Arts in Film and Media Studies, participating in the Global Awareness Program, and going on to a second year of Arabic studies thanks to a federal fellowship from the Kansas African Studies Center. Already serving as a contributor for the University Daily Kansan and Lawrence Journal World newspapers and having plans to attend law school following her undergrad, she is well on her way to her dream job: to become Secretary of State.

Before she was Miss Topeka, this beauty was Miss Czech-Slovak Kansas 2011, in which she won the categories of private interview, onstage interview, talent and modeling, qualifying for nationals where she would win the title of Miss Czech-Slovak United States 2012-2013, winning the categories of private interview, onstage interview and modeling once more. Salva said that the Czech-Slovak pageant system was originally part of the Miss America system but broke off into its own system in the 80’s.

This brings us to her current title of Miss Topeka, which her inner beauty could have won alone. As pictured, Salva was escorted by Olathe South senior Michael Horn, a member of Inclusion Connections, for her evening wear portion of the night. She is now preparing to compete for Miss Kansas this summer and then (hopefully) on to compete for Miss America.

This video game loving, weight training, outdoors-y girl has a personal passion for the advocacy of individuals with developmental disabilities, which happens to be her pageant platform. Her Miss Kansas platform statement states, “my goal as Miss Kansas is to establish a precedent for equal and continuous involvement of individuals with special needs within our community.” This compassionate young woman also states in her platform that she has generated new social activities such as the “Accessi-Ball,” a dance to promote social interaction between the those with disabilities and those without, and has created a video for InterHab, an organization that advocates for the rights of the people who are disabled in legislature.

Aiming to achieve her three goals of social, educational and employment opportunities for this demographic, Salva has partnered with four nonprofit groups to expand her platform and support her passion. She is partnered with the Kansas Audio-Reader Network, having read and recorded 7 books for people who are blind and visually disabled; The Shadow Buddies Foundation, which gives children and elderly a soft doll that has the same disability or condition as themselves; Inclusion Connections, Inc., which seeks to increase social interaction for youth and young adults with developmental disabilities; and the Children’s Miracle Network.

Miss Jennifer Salva encompasses the standard that is Miss America. When I say that she happens to be the real life Katniss, it is because her beauty, brains and compassion have set her on fire. She is a true idol and role model in the way that “The Hunger Games” character was made to be. She is a beacon of hope for an unheard demographic. This community advocate has created a strong platform that we should all get behind and, as Jayhawks, it is a proud moment to have one of our own competing for the well-deserved title of our state.

Jennifer’s story of the escort to the Miss Topeka pageant was featured by the National Down Syndrome Society’s newsletter. Read it here: https://www.ndss.org/My-Great-Story/Virtual-Storybook/Celebrity/BEAUTY-B…

Kansas raised (no not on a farm) but forever seeking the wanders of the world. She's one part human, one part hairspray, and one part sawdust. Her happiness is rooted in dabbling in various avenues of creative expression. Pursuing an BFA in Industrial Design and minors in Italian and Strategic Communication, she's a full time student and part time hair stylist. You can find her at the dog park, sharing an ice cream cone with her hound or at a coffee shop downtown.