How to Beat Hangover Munchies, Jayhawk Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

We have all experienced a night we wanted to forget and that next day when our diet reflected our choices. You know where I am going with this… the hangover munchies. They will sneak up on your diet every single time you have a wild night, but not if you prepare. College is a time to have some fun (ahem, along with the studying), but it is wise to make sure that you can get back on track the next day. Part of doing this is just eating healthy foods. So, Jayhawks, I have toured my way down Mass Street and up around Jayhawk Boulevard to find some healthy eats that will keep your post-partying fuel nutritious.

The Merc: This is a first priority stop. The Merc is a health food co-op located off of Iowa Street. It offers everything from smoothies and soups to pre-made sandwiches and organic groceries. If you are feeling a little crabby on Sunday morning, head on over to the Merc and stroll through the breakfast buffet and get yourself a nice spinach omelete and fresh fruit.

The Underground: Don’t fret if you can’t make it to the Merc because you partied during the week and on-campus options are the only places to go. There are healthy eats right off of Jayhawk Boulevard. Make a beeline past the Pizza Hut and head to the salad bar. Contrary to popular belief, a salad can be delicious. The Underground offers chickpeas, grilled chicken, guacamole, eggs, tuna and many other protein sources to hide your lettuce. If you are feeling more on the snack side, grab a mini version of one of your favorite wraps (just not the beloved Crunchy Chicken Cheddar Wrap).

Jimmy John’s: So, you slept through most of the day… and don’t really feel like moving. No need to worry! Just order in, but skip the pizza and order from Jimmy John’s. Jimmy John’s offers an Unwich sandwich, which features a lettuce wrap in place of the bread. Yes, it doesn’t taste as good, but it’s better for your bod. You will also feel more energized because the lack of starchy carbs won’t make your blood sugar levels crash.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop: Your friends insist you dine at Fuzzy’s Taco Shop for lunch. What’s a girl to do? Greasy Mexican is not the best for hangover detox. The good news? You can order a simple beef or chicken fajita plate or a big salad (literally comes in a mixing bowl) to load up on veggies.

Your partying CAN lead to healthy eats if you check out the menus beforehand. KU may host super fun tailgates, but Lawrence also has a host of organic eats and better-for-you options around every corner. You just have to set down your Wheel pizza first!  

Maggie is a rising senior at the University of Kansas majoring in journalism. She has interned at Parents magazine and Glamour magazine and hopes to land an editing position someday. Maggie founded a health and fitness website called Get Fit Get Life and she is a personal trainer. She doesn't go a day without an iced coffee with a splash of almond milk!