Halloween Candy: Best and Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

It’s that time of year again – everyone is going to the pumpkin patch, decorating theirs rooms and doors with
ghosts and pumpkins, and more importantly – all of the Halloween candy is out. Although it is a fun time of year and a special occasion where some of the best candy comes out for trick-or-treaters, it is important to know what candies are the healthier options compared to the ones that are not. It’s no secret that Halloween candy can have extreme amounts of calories, fat, and sugar – but you can indulge this Halloween season without packing on the pounds.

The healthiest chocolate candy is the miniature 3 Musketeers. They are only 24 calories with less than 1 gram of fat. It is better to save the calories and eat chocolate candies with a more airy center, rather than a really dense filling. On the other hand, the worst chocolate candy to eat is the miniature Butterfinger. They are 45 calories with 2 grams of fat, but if you eat a couple of these you might as well just have a whole bar!

If you are looking for a more fruity Halloween candy, the healthiest option is Lemon Heads. The fun size box of Lemon Heads is 50 calories with 0 grams of fat, while 10 Starbursts have 204 calories and 4 grams of fat. Although Starbursts are a tasty fruity candy, make sure to watch how many you have because the calories do add up. You could even try another healthier alternative to Starbursts such as Jolly Ranchers!

If you are wanting a full size candy bar but not wanting all of the calories that typically come with it, have a York Peppermint Pattie. Since the filling is light and airy, there are fewer calories. There are only 140 calories in one patty, while the mint and dark chocolate flavors really satisfy. The full size candy bar to avoid is Snickers. With 280 calories and 14 grams of fat, its best to avoid this candy filled with nuts and caramel.

Although there are some really yummy seasonal candies that come out for Halloween, don’t let that fool you. The chocolate and peanut butter combination will always have a high amount of calories, but the Reese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkin is 170 calories with 10 grams of fat. However, the Peeps Pumpkins only have 16 calories with 0 grams of fat – this is the seasonal treat to eat instead!

Some other low calories treat are Dum Dum Lollipops for only 20 calories, a Hershey’s kiss for only 67 calories, a handful of candy corn for 64 calories, and a Tootsie Roll for 26 calories. In addition, Twizzlers have 0 grams of fat and are a tasty cherry treat!

Overall, one of the best Halloween candies to eat are the Tootsie Caramel Apple Pops. They are only 60 calories with 0.5 grams of fat, and since they take a long time to eat, you typically don’t feel tempted to go back and eat two or three more. Not to mention they are tart, fruity, and festive for the Halloween season!

University of Kansas Journalism School Student