This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Fall fashion is probably my favorite of the entire year. Forget the summer brights and spring pastels, it’s all about the dark and comfy for me. As fall fashion is starting to hit the stores many probably have noticed a throwback to the 90s. Especially with plaids and color choices which perfectly emulate the 90s fashion to a T. Who can’t help put fall in love with something from the past? It just makes me think of Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love because weren’t they the prince and princess of grunge? Here are some of my favorite grunge trends of this fall season.

My ode to Courtney Love. A floral slip dress.

This dress can be found on asos. It can be solid or printed like the one pictured. The best thing about it, is you can accessorize any way you want to. I prefer simple accessories and a killer shoe, but that’s just me. It is also the easiest thing to pick up and wear for anytime of the day.

Overalls!!

Usually people would blow this off and say that they would never wear it again, but think twice. It isn’t for just people on the farm anymore. It is actually coming back better than ever. You can get the original like this Nastygal creation or a printed overall, which many stores seem to carry. The perfect thing about overalls now is they can be fashionable and not frumpy. They are made to fit your perfectly curved body.

Burgandy lips/nails or should I say oxblood?

The color of the season is burgandy. It can be worn on your lips or used on your nails. Either way it is the color of the season, not to mention my favorite color of the season. It is the perfect color for any outfit. I’m currently wearing it on my nails and will probably for the rest of the season.

Boots

Doc Martens or grunge boots as I like to call them was shoe staple back in the 90’s. Even though the shoes have been making a comeback it just fits into the grunge image. I remember envying people who had Doc Martens as a little girl, but now I can finally own my own pair! Here’s a cheaper version of the shoe from Tilly’s.

Boyfriend Jeans

Seriously, who else is tired of skinny jeans? Instead of suffocating your legs, here’s an awesome alternative. These jeans are loose and on trend. What more can you ask for? Oh yeah, did I mention they are ripped too? You get these bad boys at Zaras for an affordable price. Say hello to sitting and eating comfortably!

Plaid Skirts

There is no mentioning grunge fashion without plaid though. You can get this at TopShop. I swear this plaid skirt would be the perfect staple piece in your closet. It is not too short and not too long. It’s a darker plaid and the pleats are super cute. It can go kind of prep school, but the buckle details make it look anything, but sweet.

Now go listen to some Nirvana and get your grunge on.