This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Arnold Palmer, Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus. What comes to your mind when you hear these three names? If the word “golf” popped into your head, then you are not alone! A sport that has become increasingly popular for younger generations is no longer known as the game that only your dad and his friends play. I met with Chase Hanna, a member of the University of Kansas golf team, who at only age nineteen is already turning heads with his talent.

Chase started to get into golf when he was just three years old. He learned the ropes from his grandpa, who is an avid golf player. When Chase hit eighth grade, he started to realize that he had a talent with golf and wanted to keep pursuing it. Throughout his high school career at Shawnee Mission East, Chase had won twelve different competitions, winning both the 2013 Kansas Amateur and the 2013 Kansas Junior Amateur, which has only happened to one other player, Johnny Stevens back in 1960. He also received the 2013 Kenneth Smith award, given to the top high school male golfer in the Kansas City area. And just recently, Chase was named the Kansas Golf Association’s player of the year.

“These accomplishments are great. On the inside I’m a pretty competitive person, so it’s very rewarding.” said Chase.

Chase knew throughout high school that he was eventually wanting to pursue college golf, particularly at KU.

“I’ve always been a huge KU fan and lot of my family has gone here. KU just got a new golf coach which is another reason why I wanted to play here,” Chase said. “I love the new coach, he’s turning things in the right direction and he’s committed to winning. It’s a good fit.”

During the off-season (which begins in November util about mid-January), Chase and his teammates are required to train five times a week. In-season, training is down to three times a week but members are expected to stay in good playing condition year-round.

Balancing golf and school doesn’t leave Chase with much free time, but when he does have it he enjoys playing basketball and hanging out with his friends.

Chase’s golf inspirations include Gary Woodland, a former student and golf player for the University of Kansas, Phil Mickelson and Keegan Bradley. Chase’s goal after graduation is to one day play professionally.

“It’s gonna take a lot of hard work, these next four years and after, but golf is a huge passion of mine and I want to pursue it,” Chase said. Even if he doesn’t go pro, Chase plans to keep the sport in his life, “Golf is definitely a big thing I want to keep up, whatever I’m doing, I’ll definitely still be around it.”  

Junior at the University of Kansas with an addiction to coffee, warm weather, and Urban Outfitters. facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cecilia.h.cho twitter: https://twitter.com/ceciliacho92 instagram: cecilia__cho92