Best Home Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With cold weather approaching and an endless amount of schoolwork , it can be hard to
motivate ourselves to get outside and to workout. Although we have the ability to go to the KU Recreation Center, sometimes it can be hard to find a ride or it just seems too cold for us to walk all the way there. However, don’t panic – you’re in luck. Here are the top 5 best workouts you can do without even leaving your room.

P 90 X
Now we have all heard of P 90 X, but some of us have never had the courage to actually try it. Although P 90 X is a little pricey, try splitting the cost of purchase with a couple of friends that want to join you in the workout. You will gain access to a great workout as well as a supportive team to cheer each other on! P 90 X offers the total body workout. The workouts vary from day to day, which allows your body to work all muscle groups. Yes, it is challenging, but it is worth it.  Ask anyone who has used P 90 X, they will even tell you the benefits . With winter approaching, P 90 X offers you a great way to stay in shape without having to face the brutal cold weather.

10 Minute Solution: Rapid Results Pilates
If you are looking for a quick but beneficial workout, this is the DVD for you. The exercise burns 270 calories in one sitting and 50 calories per round. This workout is beneficial for those who can’t seem to find time to make it to the Rec pilates because it sums up everything you would do in a normal Pilates class in a quick and convenient way.  In the video the instructor is very specific as to which exercises target specific areas. Thus, you can focus more on your trouble areas more easily. The workout video focuses on your abdominals, thighs, arms, shoulders, and overall stretching ability.

Fat-Burning Kickboxing Workout for Dummies
This book offers instruction for inexperienced kick boxers to form basic and advanced skills in kickboxing before even entering a classroom. Kickboxing offers a high intensity workout with a high amount of calorie burning. Kickboxing classes can be pricey or a far distance from campus. This book is the perfect solution to getting a kickboxing workout in your own room. The workouts are beginner friendly with pop-up pictures that make the workouts easy to follow. The workouts listed in the book allow you to burn at least 700 calories, which is not too shabby for a workout in your room!

Jillian Michael’s 30 Day Shred Workout Video
Jillian’s workout videos offer a convenient workout with great results. In her 30 Day Shred video, she offers three 20-minute circuit-training workouts that burn high amounts of calories and build your muscles. In each 20-minute training, she uses the 3-2-1 method of Strength/Cardio/Abs: 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of ab work. Throughout the video you can move through levels 1-3, each level getting progressively harder. Jillian’s workouts offer a great chance to lose weight and tone muscle, all while remaining in your own dorm room.

Pinterest Workouts
You all know what I’m talking about – the endless amount of ab, thighs, and butt workouts that we see on our Pinterest feed daily. Some of the workouts seem to be a little odd, but they keep the workout routine interesting! There are endless amounts of workouts that you can find on Pinterest that provide actual results for real people. Not to mention that if you find one that you don’t like, there are tons of others ones waiting for you to try! Pinterest workouts offer you a way to mix up your workout routine and to try new exercises that will work different muscle groups, while still conveniently working out in your room.

University of Kansas Journalism School Student