8 Things I Never Thought I Would Say in My Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Any sentence that starts with “my sorority.” How did I end up in a sorority?

2. “I’m going to London over spring break.” I’m going to London over spring break!

3. “That party was actually so much fun.” Silly girl, you don’t enjoy fraternizing with the general populace.

4. “Borrowing this much in student loans for studying abroad is probably a bad idea. But maybe I’ll die before I have to start paying them back.” There’s always hope.

5. “I have a scholarship application to fill out.” I don’t know why I thought I would be done with this after my senior year of high school, but now I’m convinced that the things I need to fill out are endless.

6. “Someone needs to take the president’s Twitter away from him.” What a silly, sad thing to be true.

7. “I need to hang out outside the STEM buildings so I can find other nerds to play Dungeons and Dragons with me.” I repeat – how did I end up in a sorority?

8. “Socrates and Aristotle would hate our current education system. Why does everything have to prepare you for being a cog in the economic machine? There’s so much more to education than being “useful” in a job down the road. ‘It is completely inappropriate for magnanimous and free people to be always asking what use something is.'” I can quote Aristotle now. College, am I right?

(Source 1) (Source 2) (Source 3) (Source 4) (Source 5) (Source 6) (Source 7) (Source 8) (Source 9)

Maggie Williams is an English and Creative Writing major at the University of Kansas. She is an aspiring novelist, hermit, and musical enthusiast who spends an inordinate amount of time thinking about stand-up comedy, Dungeons and Dragons, and ice cream. She's honestly just a joy. You can follow her at https://twitter.com/Maggie5533 or at https://adventuresandstorytelling.wordpress.com/ where she doesn't speak in third person (she promises).