5 Films You Must Watch as a Tribute to Wes Craven

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The death of Wes Craven was some of the worst news I had received since the Paul Walker tragedy. I have to admit to being a bit of a movie fanatic, and horror is undoubtedly my preferred genre.

I grew up watching the classics: Halloween, Psycho, The Exorcist, etc. Wes Craven films have somehow managed their own section on my favorites list. A majority of his work is known for his ingenious ability to combine absolute terror and comedy into a twisted sense of reality, or lack thereof. I really can’t praise him enough. Therefore, in honor of his general awesomeness, I feel the need to recommend a couple of his very best.

“The Last House on the Left” (1972 and 2009)

At the risk of saying too much, I will just offer a general warning: not for the faint of heart due to its explicitness. Did I mention that Wes Craven started his film career in porn? 

On a side note, Sean S. Cunningham, the director of Friday the 13th, produced the original 1972 version of this movie. 

“The Hills Have Eyes” (1977 and 2006)

So – this one is also somewhat explicit. The 2006 remake is one of the only movies that has literally made my stomach turn (and that’s saying a lot!). There is something about mutant cannibals that makes me feel uncomfortable, I guess?

“A Nightmare on Elm Street” (1984)

You can’t honor Wes Craven without watching this. It has a high rating of weird, and I love that. You should too.

“Scream” (1996)

Okay, the entire Scream series: Scream 2 (1997), Scream 3 (2000) and especially Scream 4 (2011). I’d even recommend the recent Scream TV show on MTV.

This series is perfect. Not only does it map out the “rules” of a horror movie, but it also questions societies obsession with revenge, violence and infamy. It makes fun of horror movies while simultaneously being a horror movie.

“My Soul to Take” (2010)

Maybe I love this movie because of Max Thieriot, but it’s definitely still worth watching otherwise. I’ll even admit to finding the formulaic style to be somewhat comforting. My advice: Don’t listen to the critics. Watch the movie. Just remember: don’t take it too seriously. Look for the comedy. It’s richer that way.