10 Easy DIY Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

October is finally here, and that can only mean one thing: Halloween! In college, Halloween is a completely different story. No more trick-or-treating or looking after younger siblings. It’s just a weekend (and maybe more) of non-stop parties. You’re basically required to have at least two different costumes, but when you’re this broke, how can you keep up? Sometimes you just have to get creative. Here are 10 Halloween costumes you can put together with what you already have.

1. Grapes

I know sexy Halloween costumes are all the rage, but this was the most fun I’ve ever had dressing up. If you love being the center of attention (and who doesn’t, let’s be real) you should definitely go for this. Just dress in either all purple or all green, whatever you have, and buy balloons to match, pinning them all over your shirt. For just a little extra, wear a brown scarf for the stem.

2. Comic Book Girl

I’ve been dying to do this for years, and this year I’m finally going to attempt it. All you really need for this look is a steady hand, and maybe a wig. You can wear whatever you want with this, but I think it would look best with a 1950s-inspired dress or skirt. 

3. Midsummer Queen

This past summer, my friend had a Midsummer party. For those of you who don’t know, Midsummer is the day that the summer solstice takes place and in many countries, like Sweden, they have huge parties all day and all night long where you eat and drink and dance and spend all day outside. And you get to wear these super cool hipster flower crowns. I thought it would be really easy to just be a “Midsummer Queen,” and all you have to do is make a flower crown and wear a pretty dress and eat a lot of potatoes with dill (this last part is optional, but recommended).

Here’s how to make the crown: http://honestlywtf.com/diy/diy…

4. Sim

I did this a while back and I’ve been dying to do it again, because I got so many compliments on it. If you’re not living under a rock, you probably know what the game “The Sims” is, and it’s really easy to dress up like a Sim. Grab a piece of cardboard or poster board or cardstock, cut out 12 equal triangles, paint them green, and glue them together in a plumbob-like fashion. After this is done, you just have to take the diamond and hot glue it onto the top of a headband. That’s it!

5. Grayscale

This really just requires a lot of time and makeup. Turn yourself into a grayscale person by sucking all the color of your face, neck and arms, then wear all black to keep it simple. Make sure all of your accessories are either black or gray!

6. Cactus

Can’t think of anything else? Be a cactus! Just wear all green and attach white or cream pipe cleaners everywhere with a hot glue gun. Like the grapes, this is probably going to be something that will get in the way, and you might end up poking your friends, but it’s just one night. Your friends will get over it. You’re a cactus! That’s hilarious!

7. Black Swan

I was obsessed with the movie “Black Swan” when it came out, so I jumped on the chance to dress up like the character for Halloween. Make your own tutu by tying strips of black tulle to a ribbon that fits around your waist, and then wear a black cami (hot glue black craft store feathers around the top for added effect). You can buy a cheap plastic crown/tiara at any Halloween store, which you paint dark gray or black. Wear black or white tights and black flats. You can buy a pair of black angel wings for around $15-$20, or just go without them. The makeup will give away what you are, anyway.

8. Carmen Sandiego

You might have to do some thrifting, but if you can find a red belted trench coat or pea coat and a red hat, this one’s pretty easy. Tie a yellow ribbon around the hat, and wear black pants, gloves and boots. Sneak around the party with the brim of your hat just covering your eyes, and don’t talk to anyone. They can’t find you.

9. Terminator/Bionic Girl

If you can find liquid latex and basic Halloween makeup, you can be the Terminator. Wear a leather jacket or black vest, black pants, Ray-Bans and remember not to smile the entire night. You’re an assassin. You aren’t here to make friends.

10. Beanie Baby

Everyone’s been a cat for Halloween, but you can take it one step further. Make your own cat ears, and make sure they match whatever color dress or outfit you happen to have that looks feline, whether leopard-print, or just plain black. Draw on your basic nose and whiskers with eyeliner, and then cut out a giant”ty” tag from poster board (a heart of course) and hang it around your neck, or pin it.   Don’t forget to write in your name and info inside!

Here’s just one way to make cat ears: http://tallystreasury.com/2010…

Journalism student at KU from Texas with a passion for food, pugs and the Internet.