What Should You Do This Weekend?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

With the weather finally warm, it’s time to get out and enjoy ourselves before professors start sending out study guides for finals. As the end of semester coming hurtling toward us, many groups are putting on events. Here’s an overview of some events that are going on this weekend:

Friday April 18th

Event: Red Cross Blood DriveLocation: Gund CommonsTime: 11-5Description: The Red Cross and Delta Tau Delta will be collecting blood donations on Friday afternoon. Make an appointment or drop by to help others and have the chance to win a year’s supply of free groceries!

Event: Dunk A BetaLocation: South QuadTime: 1:00-5:00Description: Dunk your favorite frat brother into a dunk tank, and come play with shelter puppies in this Beta fundraiser for dogs without homes. (aw!) 

Event: A Visit from Andrea GibsonLocation: Pierce PubTime: 7:00PMDescription: Kenyon and Unity House will welcome famed slam poet, Andrea Gibson, to the Pierce Pub this Friday. Gibson, who addresses social and personal issues head-on with her works, is not only a poet, but also an LGBTQ activist. On Saturday(19) at 2, Gibson will be also leading a Gender Theory Workshop.

Event: Fine & DandyLocation: Rosse HallTime: 7:30Description: Kenyon’s Musical Theater Workshop class and Kenyon’s Symphonic Wind Ensemble join together to bring a forgotten hit from the 1930’s. Featuring a wide range of musical and theatrical talent, the group will illuminate a broadway show that has been silent for many years.

Event: Beyond Therapy Spring ShowLocation: Black Box TheaterTime: 10:00Description: If you need a laugh this weekend, stop by the Blackbox on Friday (at 10) or Saturday (at 7) for Beyond Therapy’s Spring Sketch Comedy show.

Event: Brave Potato One ActsLocation: Weaver CottageTime: 8:30Description: Join Brave Potato as they present three one act shows this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

Saturday, April 19th

Event: Equestrian Club Open BarnLocation: Equestrian Barn, 7820 Old Delaware RoadTime: 11:00-3:00Description: Kenyon’s very own Equestrian Club will be opening their barn this Saturday! If you like equines, then come pet a pony and watch the club do their thing. There will be games, fun, and general “horsing” around.

Event: Chinese Music EnsembleLocation: Brandi Recital HallTime: 3:00Description: If you’re looking to enhance your knowledge of both music and culture this weekend, check out Kenyon’s Chinese Music Ensemble as they perform their spring concert. Under the direction of visiting Ethnomusicologist Mei Han, the group will engage the audience with a wide range of styles and sounds.

Event: Cornerstones ConcertLocation: Brandi Recital HallTime: 6:30Description: Couldn’t get enough of last week’s Kokes/Creeks concert? Get your acapella fix this weekedn too with the Cornerstone’s spring concert set.

Event: The Crowd You’re in WithLocation: The Hill TheaterTime: 7pmDescription: The Stage Femme’s present their last play of the season this Thursday and Saturday at 7. After the play on Saturday, the playwright, Rebecca Gilman (who also wrote Stagefemme’s earlier work this semester, Boy Gets Girl), will be presenting.

Event: HormelLocation: Horn GalleryTime: 9:30 pmDescription: Stop by the Horn Gallery in your best gear for their annual formal! Featuring Ryan Chapin Mach, Rich After Texas, and headliner Junglepussy. There will be snacks, dancing, and general semi-formal fun.

Event: Save The Children Syria BenefitLocation: The V.I.Time: 10:00 pmDescription: The V.I,  the DKEs, MESA, The Kenyon Observer, Men’s Frisbee, and Fools on the Hill will be co-hosting Motown and French Club this Saturday at a fundraising event for Save The Children. There will be drink specials, as well as Baklava being sold in Pierce (Thursday and Friday) to support this cause.

Event: Archon Society Presents: Fifty Shades of BeyLocation: DKE Lounge, Old KenyonTime: 10:00-2:00Description: The Archons are pulling out all the stops this weekend, with a party dedicated to the goddess herself, Beyonce. Come as any version of Mrs. Carter that you’d like, and get prepared to be Drunk in Love, even if you’re a Single Lady.

Whatever you do this weekend, have fun and stay fabulous!

Reagan Neviska is a senior at Kenyon College where she studies Anthropology and Music. She is an active member of her coed Greek service organization, The Archon Society, as well as the president of Gospel Choir, a Her Campus Chapter Writer, and a member of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, where she plays percussion. Reagan's interests include reading, practicing and listening to music, playing with dogs (her family has four!) and watching Downton Abbey.  You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Reagaroni.
Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.