In Support of Self-Esteem: A Response to Matt Forney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you ever needed proof that feminism is still necessary, look no further. A couple weeks ago, an article titled “The Case Against Female Self-Esteem” went viral. After only reading the title, I expected it to be written by yet another man whining about “feminazis” and bashing the modern feminist movement. But what is said in this article is so much worse. If you think you can handle the disturbing level of sexism contained in this article, give it a read. I sincerely hope that, if you do, you are just as appalled by it as I am. If you don’t want to read it in its entirety, I’ve pulled some of the most offensive quotes and responded to them below.

I’ll begin, of course, at the beginning:

“I’m just gonna come out and say it: I love insecure women. Whenever a girl I’m talking to brags about how she’s ‘confident’ and ‘strong,’ I can feel my dick deflating like a punctured tire. I’d still bang her, of course; a repellent personality doesn’t negate the fact that she has a slammin’ body. But a crucial part of the attraction is lost…The idea that women should have self-esteem or need it, beyond a low baseline to ensure they don’t commit suicide or become psycho stalkers, is one of the most disastrous social engineering experiments of the modern era.”

Obviously the thought that women do not exist just to please him has never crossed his mind. What if women are—gasp—human beings just like him, with their own thoughts, personalities, and individual identities? This objectification of women is plain wrong. Plus, I think that confidence adds to a person’s beauty and appeal!

“Most girls have done nothing to deserve self-esteem…they demand respect not based on their merit as people, but for merely continuing to breathe.”

Let’s get something straight: every single human being deserves to be respected. This is true whether you are a girl, guy, or anything in between.

“The jobs that keep the country running…are still overwhelmingly dominated by men”

Sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of all these women who hold positions of power in the world.

“Insecurity is the natural state of woman”

There is no such thing as “the natural state of woman.” Every woman (every person, for that matter) has a unique, complex personality that cannot be distilled down to one adjective and stretched across an entire group. It’s especially problematic to classify all women as something so negative. Insecurity is not a good thing—people should feel good about themselves!

“Essentially, ‘confident’ women are incapable of viewing men as human beings”

It would feel really horrible to be viewed as subhuman, wouldn’t it?

“Every day, women show through their actions that they despise their strong, independent lives”

I don’t think any woman is unappreciative of the fact that in America today, for the most part, women are free to make their own decisions. Women can be politicians, CEOs, teachers, researchers, stay-at-home moms, artists, or anything else imaginable. Regardless of what choice she makes, the fact that women have the power to choose the course of their lives is a basic human right. No one would despise having control over their own lives.

It’s beyond frustrating to read an article like this—it’s such a blatant reminder that there are people in the world who truly don’t believe that men and women are equal. We should not have to prove that people are people, regardless of gender, and that they should be treated as such.

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.
Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.