Reflections on My First Semester at Kenyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It seems like just yesterday I was one of those prospies we see everywhere, touring Kenyon for the first time, trying to imagine what it would be like to attend this school. Now, not only have I made it to college, but my fellow first year students and I have made it through our first semester here. It seems a bit crazy that just a year ago I was frantically trying to finish all of my applications, and now I’m done with my first round of college finals. So I thought I’d take some time to reflect on my first semester here at Kenyon. 

First of all, college is hard. And I’m not just talking about the classes (which of course are harder than my high school classes), but about living here in general. It’s a big change  from my home in Northern Virginia where I’ve lived with my family my entire life. Here, I’m living and managing life on my own for the first time, not to mention having to share a room with another person for the first time since I was little (though my roommate is wonderful). Not that there aren’t plenty of resources here at Kenyon to help us out, but it’s still a big adjustment.  I’m the one in charge of what I do here. If I want to eat French fries at every meal that Peirce serves, I can do that. If I want to stay out late on the weekends to hang out with friends, no one’s going to get mad that I missed my curfew. It’s nice to have to have so much freedom, but it’s also a little daunting. And after going home for the first time at Thanksgiving break, it’s weird to think that I’m most likely never going to really live there again.

I also didn’t expect to be quite as homesick as I was when I got here. I didn’t realize just how much I depended on my mom especially. I missed the little things we did together, like cooking dinner or walking the dog. And I missed my high school friends a lot. No one here knows the ridiculous inside jokes we have or can share in those memories we made together. But I’ve also made great new friends here! It just takes time to develop the same level of friendship I was used to with my high school friends, who I’ve known for years. Having to make all new friends was also strange; I haven’t had to start completely over since I changed schools in third grade. And there might be a few differences in how third graders make new friends and how college students do!

As the semester closes out, I definitely feel more settled in here. My classes are manageable, I’ve made some great new friends, and I’m still able to keep in touch with my family and friends at home via texting and Skype. I’m definitely ready for Winter Break, but when it draws to an end, I know I’ll be eager to start my next semester at Kenyon!

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.