Last Chance Dance: Cute or Creepy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

“The Last Chance Dance: when graduating seniors get one more try at true love – or something like it.”

The above tagline, featured in an article written by a Yale freshman, describes a phenomenon sweeping the nation, or at least sweeping Kenyon. The Last Chance Dance, which is being implemented for the first time at Kenyon this year, gives seniors an opportunity to connect with a crush to which they previously had no ties, someone that was in their freshman year bio lab or who caught their eye in the Peirce servery. Throughout 4 years at Kenyon, a few fellow classmates are bound to spark our interest. Sometimes we act on this, and other times we don’t. The Last Chance Dance, in its own, shall we say “creative” way, forces students to acknowledge these infatuations before graduation – via an online dating site. The process – a Tinder-inspired matchmaking system – alerts students when a crush they expressed interest in, expresses interest back. It is suggested that students enter the names of 5 potential suitors. Foolproof – I know!

Other universities have had their variation of the Last Chance Dance for many years; notably, Yale who began the trend circa 2000 – and its continuation as a Senior Week staple at universities across the country speaks to its success. A second article featured in the New York Times tells the story of Danny and Devon, who met during freshmen orientation and reconnected at a Last Chance Dance. The same goes for Martha and Nick who are still dating a year after they met at Last Chance.

While the happy stories are plentiful, we here at Her Campus Kenyon assert that there must be plenty of horror stories too (the article also reported that “for some students, the dance ended in a blend of disenchantment and disappointment”). This, of course, is an expected outcome. When you put your heart on the line there is no guarantee that, when you reel it back in, it escapes unscathed. For this reason, it is essential that students adjust their expectations and maintain a positive attitude.

At Yale it’s been said that “students obsess about who they should list as their crushes,” spending the better part of a day leafing through the yearbook or student directory (it has pictures) to decide who to list as crushes. At a school like Kenyon – with significantly less students than Yale – this might not be necessary, as most classes are already well-acquainted. However, seniors should not get too wrapped up in the drama that Last Chance seems to beget. While I encourage students to partake in this Senior Week activity, I also urge them to remain level-headed and carefree. I think everyone should take a tip from Iliana Bouzali, a Yale graduate, who said before her Last Chance, “I will put down people. I mean why not? It’s the end here. I mean what do we have to lose? Pride is long gone.”

Senior Week is a time to reflect on your college experience and to say goodbye to friends and faculty members who have shared in making your time at Kenyon memorable, but even more so, it is thought of as a time to celebrate your last week at your soon-to-be alma mater. And while it is silly to assume that “pride is long gone,” it would do this year’s graduating class some good to know that, as their time at Kenyon comes to a close, they should take the leap of faith and “believe in the magic of last chances.”

So what’s your stance? Last Chance Dance: creepy or cute?“The Last Chance Dance: when graduating seniors get one more try at true love – or something like it.”

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.