I’m Not Studying Abroad and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Since returning to Kenyon last month, I have answered (and have even asked) one question over and over again: “Are you studying abroad next year?”

After I learned about the Kenyon-Exeter program last year, I had my heart set on living in Exeter, England for the entirety of my junior year. Throughout my first year, I fabricated all kinds of reasons to study abroad: I already spend eight months of the year away from home, so what difference would an entire year abroad make? Could you imagine how cool taking a Shakespeare class in England would be? At what other point in my life would I be able to spend an entire year abroad? Wouldn’t it be great to wipe out my English major requirements?

I did not think I would ever change my mind.

But then I did.

At first, I did not outright admit I no longer wanted to study abroad. I changed my mind constantly, and almost every day one of my close friends would ask, “Is today an Exeter Day?” The more I answered “no,” the more I realized that my foolproof reasons to study abroad no longer applied to me. I realized that an extra four months away from home would make a huge difference. I could probably manage staying away from my dad and my sister for that long, but I cannot fathom how I would be able to spend a year away from my dogs.

Last Thursday, the Class of 2019 piled into Rosse Hall for the “mandatory” Off-Campus Study informational session. Though I had my heart set on staying at Kenyon College junior year, I still attended the meeting just in case an “Exeter Day” randomly popped up.  Marne listed off all the procedures for applying to off-campus programs as bluntly as possible, Meghan offered great resources for writing program proposals, and I sat in my second-row seat, a week’s worth of back-and-forth, maybe-Kenyon-maybe-Exeter thoughts rushing through my head.

Lucky for me, past-me had anticipated future-me’s anxiety about the topic of studying abroad, so I met with my advisor later that afternoon. I went into the meeting with an arsenal full of reasons why I did not want to study abroad, sure that Professor Mason would fight me on my decision to stay on campus next year. (Up until that point, I had never expressed any uncertainties about the Kenyon-Exeter program or studying abroad in general.) To my great surprise, he did not try to change back my mind. Instead, he assured me that there is nothing wrong with staying at Kenyon instead of studying abroad.

I repeat: There is nothing wrong with staying on campus instead of studying abroad.

I do not want to study abroad for my own personal reasons, but there are tons of other reasons why studying abroad may not fit into your agenda.

1. You cannot imagine a place better than the village of Gambier, Ohio.

Aside from the limited late-night restaurant options, you may love living in a small town. I have lived in west-coast suburbia my entire life, so I love escaping the hustle and bustle of reality. I do not have to worry about commuting to class because I can walk from one end of the campus to the other under twenty minutes. Plus, even the biggest opponents of physical activity cannot deny that the scenery down Middle Path makes the walk totally worth it.

2. You do not want to leave the great friends you have made here.

In general, you will only have four years to spend on the Hill. You will meet amazing people from all across the globe. Through the many fantastic clubs and classes offered at Kenyon, you may meet some upperclassman (or underclassman later on) that you cannot see much after graduation. Perhaps you never really made any true friends until you arrived at Kenyon. As long as you continue to mold yourself into a functional adult-person on the Hill, I see no reason why you shouldn’t be able to stay with your friends if that’s what you want to do.

3. You want to pursue meaningful work on campus.  

As a Community Advisor this semester, I have forged incredible relationships with my supervisors, staff, and residents. The position has pushed me to manage my time better and to find more creative solutions to problems. On campus, I have found a job that helps me find purpose. You may feel similar about an opportunity to work in a science lab. You may want to dedicate yourself to research in other departments as well. The way I see it, you are more likely to make a difference over four years in one place than one semester in another country.

4. You value the benefits of a liberal arts education.

In many cases, the quality of education you receive abroad will not match the quality of education you receive at Kenyon. It would be hard for me to give up the conversations I have with my professors during office hours and the small student-teacher classroom ratios. It is also not guaranteed that your professors will have terminal degrees elsewhere. Not to say you would not have great teachers abroad: I’m just assuming Kenyon professors are passionate about what they teach since they presumably wrote whole dissertations on the topics they teach.

5. You do not want to think about grades while you travel.

When I think about traveling abroad, I picture hiking in the Scottish highlands and trying tons of exotic cuisine. In an ideal world, I would not have to worry about passing my classes at the same time. I would much rather take a week-long vacation later in life solely dedicated to exploring another culture but at my own pace.

Of course, there are many other reasons why you may not want to study abroad. There are also many reasons why you may want to study abroad. Once you begin to weigh your own pros and cons, a solution will eventually come to you. Maybe one day you will want to study abroad. Maybe the next day you will decide to stay on campus. You are allowed to change your mind. As long as you pursue options that reflect what’s best for you, then there are no wrong answers.

Image Credit: Lexi Bollis, Charlotte Smithson

Kenyon College. English Major. Lover of dogs, socks, and fuzzy blankets.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.