andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Prepare for Study Abroad: Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This time last year I had just found out that I’d be studying abroad in Rome, and I was a bundle of excitement and nerves. I was thrilled for the chance to explore a new place, but I was also daunted by all the odds and ends I needed to figure out before I could start my adventuring. As someone who deals with stress by planning and researching, I set to work learning all I could about my new home and what it’s like to study abroad. Now that the next round of sophomores have started being accepted into their respective programs, I’m feeling nostalgic. That’s why I’ve compiled this (perhaps overly) extensive list to guide those preparing to go abroad through the long, sometimes tiresome, but ultimately rewarding process.

1. PASSPORT

Once you’ve been accepted into your program, one of the first things you should do is make sure your passport is up to date, or get one if you don’t have one already. Without it, you won’t be going anywhere. Remember: passports must be valid for at least six months after the date you expect to return to the States.

2. VISAS

My Italian Visa (with thumb conveniently covering my bad passport photo)

Once your passport is in order, it’s time to begin the application for a student visa. Do this as early as possible. Obtaining a visa can be the worst part of the study abroad experience, so it’s best to get it over with.

I personally had a horrible experience with the Italian Embassy in Boston where I was turned away and told to come back with no guarantee of another appointment. Visa application is also one of the most stressful parts of preparing for going abroad because the OCS office little guidance for the process except for a mostly accurate, though generalized, info packet.

Different countries require different documentation, and some are stricter than others, so check your local embassy’s requirements. Usually, this information can be found on their website, which is also where you’ll need to make an appointment because all applications are in person. Some countries (i.e. Italy) won’t accept visa applications any earlier than 90 days prior to the start of your date of departure, but it is important to book appointments at least a month in advance because spaces fill up quickly.

Documents you may need include:

·      Your passport

·      A letter from your host school saying you’ll actually be studying where you say you are

·      Proof that you have sufficient funds to live for however long in a foreign place as well as enough to get back, which usually amounts to a $1000 for every month you’ll be gone (this can be your parent’s money or if your own, if you have the required amount stored away in your savings account),

·      A flight itinerary

·      A background check

·      Proof that you’re currently enrolled in a college in the States

·      Proof that you’re healthy and properly vaccinated

·      Copies of each and every document

Again, the exact requirements vary by country, so be sure to check the requirements that apply to your host country specifically.

3. COURSES

This may seem obvious, but get your courses approved before going abroad. You are, after all, going abroad to complete part of your college education—you might as well get credit for it. In some cases, the classes you plan on taking won’t be available once you arrive and register, so provide the registrar with an extensive list of options to avoid having to do more paperwork later.

4. TRANSPORTATION

For your peace of mind, it’s a good idea to get all travel arrangements to and from your host country arranged in advance. Prime time for booking flights is usually three months in advance because this is when prices are typically the lowest. You may also be required to show proof of a flight itinerary with a round trip ticket to apply for a visa.

Another important thing to remember is how you’re getting from the airport to your actual place of residence for the next however many months. Typically, at least for people studying abroad in cities, it may require a taxi ride, which can be expensive but will also drop you off directly at your new address. For slightly more adventurous travelers, or people who are simply more familiar with their host countries, consider using the subway or bus system. It may be tricky to figure out at first, but ultimately rewarding because you’ll be one of the first people on your program to know how public transit operates. 

5. RESEARCH

This may be the most exciting part of your preparation for abroad because it’s when you actually get to plan your trip and all the awesome places you want to see. I highly recommend buying a good guidebook for either the country you’ll be living in or even a more general multi-country one if you plan on travelling extensively. There are plenty of styles to choose from, like the stuffy, heavily historical Blue Guide series; photo-oriented Eyewitness Travel; or a more colloquial Rick Steves. Personally, I would recommend Lonely Planet, Rick Steves, Fodor’s, in that order. But go to your local bookstore and compare the different brands over one country to see which one you like best. Also, this may be obvious, but Google is your friend.

Literally any question you have about going abroad can probably be answered with a quick search. What kind of plugs does Australia use? What’s the weather like in Tunisia in September? What kind of clothes do students wear in Florence? Worried about it? Google it. And talk to people you know who’ve been abroad, whether to the country you’re going to or not, because they 1) would love to talk to you about it and 2) probably have the most valuable tips because they were so recently in the situation you’re about to be in.

If you don’t already know the language of the country you’ll be visiting, I would strongly encourage you to learn at least a few key phrases to get by. Knowing greetings and how to say thank you or excuse me will show that you are making an effort to be courteous and not just a foreigner who is simply consuming their culture. Furthermore, you’ll become more immersed in the culture if you can at least try to engage with the locals on their own terms.

Once you have all the necessary paperwork out of the way, there’s nothing stopping you from your next adventure! Except the packing, and the purchasing of all the necessary travel accessories like phone plans, travel plugs, and odds and ends like earplugs or washcloths. Luckily, I have much more to say about preparing for studying abroad, so stay tuned for part two!

Image Credit: Emily Stegner, City of Takoma Park Maryland, Kenyon Collegian, GBAA, The Odyssey

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.