sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Guide: How To Rock the Group Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

October is here, bringing a much needed drop in temperature (hopefully), changing leaves and ending with a bang, or perhaps a boo. Halloween! You’re never too old to wear a Halloween costume in pursuit of free candy. What better way to do so than to dress up with friends to be silly and have an amazing times? To make sure you have plenty of times to make plans this year, here are some of my favorite ideas for group costumes!

1. Disney Anything

Always a classic. You can never go wrong with Disney.
PS – If you want to modernize it, zombies are all anyone is talking about these days.

2. Tetris Pieces

It’s playful. It’s spirited. It does not have hours of complicated steps! All you do is go to the bookstore and ask nicely for some boxes. With a little paint from Walmart, voila! Just be careful walking around campus or a party in this. People could get injured.

3. The Powerpuff Girls (and assorted characters)

I know I grew up watching The Powerpuff Girls. They’re spunky, silly and youthful. Plus, they bring a blast from the past in the most adorable of ways. It would make this Halloween a #tbt to remember.

4. Contemporary Art

Maybe I’m biased in favor of this as an art history nerd. But, you can’t deny that contemporary art can be relatively easy (and fun!) to recreate on a T-shirt or a sheet. It’s crafty and allows for some creative expression. Plus, it takes being an artist for Halloween to a whole new level.

5. The Peanuts

They’re a classic. The clothes are relatively simple to find or create. It gives you an excuse to walk around speaking only in a monotone “wa wa wa” voice rather than actual words.
PS – If you can’t find what you need to be the characters, your friends can all dress up as the gang did in It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!

Even if you aren’t the most creative mind ever, there are so many ideas out there for one to find and make their own. Google, tumblr, Pinterest are at your disposal for what to do and also how to pull it off.

For me, the key to having a great costume is to get in character. Wearing the clothing isn’t always enough to pull it off. Speak in the voice of Thor if you’re going as The Avengers; break out into totally fitting yet unnecessary musical numbers as the cast of High School Musical; challenge people to an Agni Kai at the price of your honor as Prince Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender. It can be difficult to become a completely new person, but it’s just one night. Isn’t that part of the fun of Halloween anyway? That’s what it’s all about anyhow: having fun. 

[Photo Sources: Deviantart, Lexi Bollis, college-style.com, unrealitymag.com, dothegreenthing.com]

California girl transported to the glory of the Midwest. Art History major, English minor. Proud nerd and Girl Scout. Blogger. Gund Gallery Associate. Class of 2017, loving every minute of exploring Gambier, Kenyon and myself to find what the future has in store.
Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.