Countdown to Spring Break: A Power Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

We’ve been back at Kenyon for five or so weeks now, just in time for all of campus to hit a mental wall for the semester. I know I can’t wait to soak up as much as vitamin D as possible when I return home on Friday, along with visiting my family and friends. With all of this to look forward to, it’s even more difficult to focus on the mountain of work to be done in the next few days before our departure. You may think you have no hope of finishing everything on time, but a little motivation goes a long way. To get myself (and you!) extra pumped to get down to business on writing that paper or reading that text, I collected some of my favorite or most inspiring tunes for this playlist: 

American Idiot by Green DayNothing like punk rock about the nature of society to get you motivated to homework. (I also use this as an alarm the two days a week when my classes don’t start until 1 to get me out of bed before noon.)

Let it Go from Frozen AND Defying Gravityfrom Wicked, each  sung by Idina MenzelI don’t care how overrated you may think either of these songs are, especially “Let It Go” right now. Idina Menzel is a goddess. End of story.

Revolutionby the Beatles (or as performed by Jim Sturgess in Across the Universe. Whatever suits your fancy)Rock n roll, ladies and gentlemen. I will always have a soft spot for the Beatles.

Babel by Mumford and Sons1. Mumford makes everything better since2. That banjo and guitar strumming. In all seriousness, it’s so empowering to imagine that moment when “I’ll ride home laughing ‘Look at me now’” since it’ll be spring break.

Dance Music” by The Mountain GoatsWhen I listen to music, I really get into it. The Mountain Goats are no exception. The poetic lyrics and cool beat of this song are fun to bounce along to as I write/type. As the song explains, “so this is what the volume knob’s for.” Studying, obviously.

Gonna Get Over You” by Sara BareillesI love Sara Bareilles. This song has such a peppy beat and fun music video, it always puts me in a good mood. (Also makes me want to swing dance, but that’s off-topic.)

So Much Betterfrom Legally Blonde the Musical, as sung by Laura Bell BundyThis song gives me chills every time in the best way possible. It’s one of the best songs they adapted from the film to the musical. The message and power of Elle assuring her mother by phone “Your daughter’s doing something right” brings tears to my eyes and makes me feel on top of the world.

Flowers in Your Hairby The LumineersI love this song. It’s sounds sweet, but the lyrics are so stimulating. This is a song I listen to when I need to just think – whether it’s about my next story idea for my Fiction class or about different types of volcanism on the terrestrial planets.

Get Back Up as performed by Lauren Lopez and the cast of StarshipIn general, this song is one that makes me feel good when I’m not quite on top of my game. Just remember: “You’re a total badass at the top of class, now you’re telling me you’re having doubts?” There’s no doubt that you’re amazing and you can do this.

Starting Now by Ingrid MichaelsonSeriously. Start now, get you work done, and then you’re off for two weeks!

Happy Spring Break, everybody!

California girl transported to the glory of the Midwest. Art History major, English minor. Proud nerd and Girl Scout. Blogger. Gund Gallery Associate. Class of 2017, loving every minute of exploring Gambier, Kenyon and myself to find what the future has in store.
Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.