Astrology 2017: New Year’s Resolutions for Every Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Alright friends, it is that time of year. I think we can all agree that 2016 was interesting. LEMONADE changed my life, Viola Davis made us cry at the Emmys, there was the drama about Harambe, and then there was the big ol’ election that left us all feeling certain things.

But we’re not talking about pop culture in this article. We’re talking about YOU. No doubt you’re itching for a change; a new year, new classes, a new country if you’re going abroad. So what better way to procrastinate doing finals then to start thinking about your New Year’s Resolutions?

But Ari, you may ask, how do I know what I need in my life? I’m glad you asked. Lucky for you, I have curated the perfect resolutions for every astrological sign.

Aries

For this classic fire sign, a break is definitely needed before the craziness of a new semester. You are wild and no doubt this semester has been a roller coaster of new friends, extracurricular activities, and general excitement. We get it—you like to do stuff. But sometimes, a fire sign can get burnt out (I’m so funny) from all that running around. Pick a few things you care about, and jump on the chances you’ve been given. This is the time where you should use your energy for practical matters.

It’s in your nature to take action, so if something has happened to you lately, don’t ignore it. Took a class and it changed your life? Consider declaring a major! Had a great experience with someone new? Stay in contact over break and see where it goes! Look for the signs, hop on them, and I promise good things will come you next semester.

Taurus

To all my Taurus friends, I love you. You are a constant, steady stream of love and affection that everyone needs in the dark wintery times to come. We all know that you hate change, and are looking forward a month of solitude and relaxation. However, take that time to really transform yourself. Maybe an unannounced face tattoo or a drastic haircut is exactly what you need to propel you into 2017. We get that aesthetics are everything, and that this advice can seem jarring. However, every Taurus deserves the chance to shine, and sometimes that means demanding attention. Really make 2017 yours by making people see you more than just a right hand man.

Gemini

Oh you two-faced wonder. A few Geminis have been quite the cause of ruckus in 2016. Anywho, Geminis in general tend to wrap other people into their own drama. Maybe this break will be good to isolate and separate your own goals from those of other people. Take some time to yourself to introvert. Take your nervous anxiety about the prospect of the New Year and channel it into a new creative project. Work on art or pick up journaling—anything that allows you to express yourself through a healthy lens. Just not tweeting. Please do not tweet.

Cancer

We all have a cancer friend who is the “mom” of the group. They take care of everyone around them, and always put their own needs on hold. Don’t worry, we love you and constantly appreciate you. However, it’s hard to always be the empathizer. Work on finding your voice and also allowing people to be there for you every now and then. You don’t need to be the mama bear all the time. Let someone else take the burden off of your shoulders.

Leo

‘Tis the season of giving! The winter can get dark and bleak and stagnant. Often this can leave a Leo, who thrives off of excitement, bored and upset. Leos are born leaders who thrive off of planning and coordinating, so tackling a new project is a great idea. And while I will never hate on someone who absolutely loves themselves, sometimes it’s a nice idea to focus on someone else. Spend the break figuring out what causes inspire you, then plan how to put your leadership skills to good use.

Virgo

Stop being a worrywart! There is nothing better than someone who is attentive and hardworking, but we all need to have a little fun! Virgos are so particular about how they carry themselves and sometimes we all need to be a bit silly. Do something crazy. Don’t make your bed for all of break, leave your emails unread, don’t fold your clothes. Just see what happens.

Libra

Now is the time for Libras to shine. Libras are incredible team workers, and sometimes that often leads to them being dependent on other people. Libras are fair-minded and social butterflies, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Libras love keeping the peace and avoid conflict at all costs. Sometimes that means that your life can be stagnant and unchanging. Get out of your shell and do something on your own. People are attracted and intrigued by independence; go to a restaurant with a good book and I guarantee a certain someone will chat you up. Who knows? Maybe the new year will bring a new person.

Scorpio

Breathe before you panic. Scorpios are the most jealous and suspicious sign that there are, and often feel like they need to wear armor to protect themselves. With a new semester comes new classes and new people, and things are bound to change. Don’t tense up and freak out; accept that change is a thing that is happening, and learn to go with the flow. Appreciate unpredictability.

Sagittarius

I know you are long overdue for an adventure. You need to get in the car with a group of friends, put on a great playlist, and go for a long drive. Bring a picnic and go on a long hike with a nice dog. Plug your headphones in and just start walking. Smile at everyone you see, because you’ve been slumping lately and need something to open your mind. Sagittarians crave freedom, and that is exactly what you need after a crazy first semester. Go and just explore.

Capricorn

Capricorns know themselves best. They are responsible and disciplined and consider themselves incredibly practical and professional. I think that is fantastic, and you best believe I will hit up my Capricorn friends to help me find a summer internship.  However, sometimes Capricorns think they know themselves a little too well. You can always surprise yourself. Do something very uncharacteristically you.

Aquarius

Aquarians are always striving for greatness. They are progressive and independent and know what they want. While you’re thinking about what you want to eat for lunch in the dining hall, Aquarians already know where they want to live after college. While the world can look pretty dismal at times, Aquarians have the ability to only see opportunities. Sometimes that means that Aquarians don’t take the time to appreciate what surrounds them. There will always be great things, but consequences result when you aren’t appreciating what you have.

Pisces

Pisces love excitement. They’re like excitable puppies, constantly running from person to person for fun times and affection. But all play and no sleep makes for a tired Pisces. With the craziness of the holidays, make sure to take time for yourself to relax. Yes seeing friends and going out is fun, but make sure that you are well rested and ready for next semester.

So there it is! Now you don’t have to worry about making a list of things to accomplish in the New Year. Regardless of what weird memes come up in the internet, or who Shia Lebeouf pisses off next, YOU will have a clear path of how your 2017 should luck. It’s all right here for you. Thank your lucky stars that Mercury isn’t in retrograde yet, and keep on shining.

Image Credit: Giphy

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.