10 Reasons Why I Love Being a Chamber Singer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

At the beginning of my sophomore year, I found myself struggling to fill up my schedule. I knew I needed to fulfill my Fine Arts requirement, but I didn’t really know which classes to take. After deciding that Studio Art, Drama, and Film really weren’t for me, I decided to audition for the Kenyon College Community Choir. I thought it would be a low-commitment, sure-fire way to fulfill my requirement in two years. I hadn’t sung in a year, but I figured it wouldn’t be a big issue. And it wasn’t. In fact, instead of ending up in Community Choir, I got into the Chamber Singers, Kenyon’s more selective choral group. I didn’t expect to get in, but when I did, I knew I had to join, even though that meant I had to drop a class that conflicted with the Chamber’s daily rehearsals. Honestly, it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made at Kenyon. Those in the group with me know why and how Chamber Singers is such a special experience, but for those of you who don’t, here are ten reasons (of many) why I love being a Chamber Singer.

1. Benjamin “Doc” Locke.

I couldn’t choose which I liked best – Doc’s puns, his love story with his wife, Kay, or that grotesque pastel sweater he wore that one time. I decided that Doc is just an amazing human being in general and an excellent professor, so he deserves the number one spot on this list. We love you, Doc!

2. Doc Dinners.

At the beginning of each year, Doc and Kay cook their traditional chicken lasagna for the Chamber Singers. Different groups get to know each other (or just become reacquainted) over Doc’s cheesy dish. Doc Dinners are no longer held at Doc’s house, but the tradition remains.

3. The Chambies.

The Chambers, or “Chambies,” are some of the best people you’ll meet at Kenyon. I’ve met some pretty talented and intelligent people in this group and made some great friends along the way!

4. It’s a nice break in the middle of my day.

Most students find the thought of daily rehearsals daunting, but Chamber Singers is one of the best parts of my day. I have a pretty busy schedule as is, and, while rehearsal doesn’t alleviate any of my academic burdens, it certainly gives me an hour to calm down and just do something I love. For the most part, I leave Chamber Singers more relaxed than when I come in.

5. Getting dressed up for Formal Fridays.

On Fridays, we wear formal wear. If you haven’t had the opportunity to walk around for an entire day in formal wear for no apparent reason, then I feel bad for you. 

6. Going on tour.

Tour is hard. Tour is tiring. Tour is also a lot of fun. Thanks to tour, this European girl has been able to travel around the United States. We also get to know each other really well, because you can’t help but bond with people over daily trips to Panera.  

7. The music.  

Sure, learning songs like Johann Sebastian Bach’s “Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden” isn’t always the best. In the end, though, the experience is always really rewarding no matter what we’re singing. When you really love music, only two things matter: that you have fun, and that you don’t go flat or sharp.

8. Hanging out with alums.

Most Chamber alums are awesome (Nick Petricca, for example). Some are just okay (Josh Radnor, I’m looking at you). Alum stories are the best, because you get to hear funny, crazy, and insightful stories about Kenyon before our time. And they’re even better when they’re embarrassing stories about Doc. 

9. The “Weird” Song.

Every year, Doc chooses an… interesting song for the choir to perform during the concert. According to what fellow HCK member and Chamber Singer Lexi Bollis has told me, this song is always a post-1950s composition, which was when the avant-garde entered the music world. People rejected tonality and basically all other musical conventions during this time period. So, Doc uses this to teach us about a really cool and important part of music history, which makes sense given that he likes to give a sampling of music across time and genres. If you ask me, I think he also really enjoys seeing the audience’s confused faces.

10. And, finally, tearing up during the Kokosing Farewell.

We don’t just sing it; we feel it.

Image: kenyon.edu