Sarah Botscheller: Future Leader of the Retail Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Meet Sarah Botscheller, a Senior and  fashion student at Kent State University. Sarah is a student determined to make an impact in the ever-changing retail industry, and she is starting her journey off well at Kent State. Further, she works hard to be a leader on and off-campus while she excels in her studies.She was very excited to sit down and share some of her interests with us.

Major/ Minors:  Fashion Merchandising with a double minor in Marketing and Economics

Organization Involvements:  Chi Omega Sorority, Order of Omega (Greek honor society), NRFSA (Director of Management)

HC:What is NRFSA/ NRF? 

SB:The National Retail Federation is the world’s largest retail trade association. They advance the interests of the retail industry through advocacy, communications and education.  The National Retail Federation Student Association at Kent State University offers student members the opportunity to leverage NRF’s vast retail network and take advantage of education and networking opportunities.

HC: Why did you choose to get involved?

SB: The fall of my junior year I had decided to apply for the NRF Next Generation Scholarship. After being selected as one of the top 25 applicants, I received a travel scholarship to the NRF Big Show. There, I saw the vast opportunities the NRF could offer me. Upon my return from New York, I felt that joining Kent State’s NRFSA and our executive board was the next step for me. I wanted to spread my love and knowledge of fashion retail to the students of Kent State.

HC: What opportunities has NRFSA brought you?

SB: I feel that NRFSA has pushed me to view retail in a different light. I’ve always seen it as only fashion, but it’s so much more than that. NRFSA has given me the opportunities to network with inspiring business owners, professors and my fellow members.

HC: What is the “Big Show “?

SB: Tell us about your experience attending? The Big Show is a 3-day long conference held in New York City where retail’s greatest gather to share their view of the future. Technology was a huge touch point as we see the retail world beginning to move online. The Show also consisted of many speakers who spoke of their personal experiences and where they see the retail world heading. Some of my favorite were Simon Sinek, Jodie Fox (co-founder of Shoes of Prey), and Rebecca Minkoff. Not only did the show offer amazing insight, but also plenty of job/internship opportunities for the NFRSA members at the career and hiring fair. Some of the companies that attended were West Elm, Macy’s, Belk, HSN, Kohl’s, and Dick’s Sporting Goods. We had the opportunity to talk to these representatives and network with them during the show

HC: What are two key takeaways you learned from the “Big Show”?  

SB: My key takeaways were to take the opportunities you’re presented with and don’t be afraid to fail. Try something new because you might regret it if you don’t. If I never ended up applying for that scholarship, I would have never been able to see how broad and advanced the retail industry really is. I have formed a great relationship with the NRF and I look forward to attending the Big Show again this coming January. 

HC: What are your specific interests in the fashion/retail industry?

SB: I’m not specifically set on an exact department just yet because every company is very different.  This summer I had the privilege of interning for ANN INC. in NYC as a merchandising intern for LOFT Knits, and I absolutely loved it! I really enjoyed merchandising, but I’m also open to learning and trying new things! I believe that you can never have enough experience because we’re always learning.

HC: Any plans post-graduation?

SB: Once I graduate in May, I hope to be moving to New York City (hopefully with a job offer too, fingers crossed!) After interning this summer I can really see myself in a corporate setting. I enjoy the fast-paced market and seeing how it changes every day.

HC: In what ways do you contribute to being the future of retail?

SB: I feel like I contribute by being eager and curious. By taking opportunities and asking questions along the way I’m able to learn from so many people and hopefully pass along my knowledge to the next generation!

Thank you Sarah,

Congratulations on your many accomplishments and good luck in all of your future endeavors.

Follow her on Instagram: @sarahb513

Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.