sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Kim Anderson: The New Joan Rivers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Kim Anderson is Kent State TV2’s entertainment queen. Read how “The Joan Rivers of TV2” got her start in student media!

Major: Broadcast journalism

Minor: Writing

Age: 22

Hometown: Wellington, OH

Her Campus: When did you get involved in TV2?

Kim Anderson: I got involved in TV2 within two weeks of getting here my freshman year.

HC: How did you get involved in TV2?

KA: My very first thing was a cast member on an entertainment show called What’s Up Weekly. Started from the bottom you could say. Through that, I got the opportunity to be an associate producer and learn things about being a producer.

HC: You’re on a fashion panel on The Blurb. What’s your favorite part about that?

KA: I love doing celebrity battles, where we say who we think had the better outfit. I like having the title “The Joan Rivers of TV2.”  No matter who’s on panel, we always have different opinions and ideas on trends, so it’s always fun.

HC: You also co-produce KSUniverse. What’s the most rewarding part of being a producer?

KA: The moment at the very end of the show where we hit the spacebar and see the show was timed okay. Also, when you can look back and think about the ideas for the show at the Friday cast meeting, to the Wednesday night show, and see how much work was put into it, and what the show turned into. I also like seeing how everyone on the cast grows throughout the semester.

HC: What is it about entertainment television that you love most?

KA: Having the opportunity to make people laugh, and distract them from the crappy things that might be happening in their every day life. I thoroughly enjoy taking serious things and making fun of them. I like entertainment television, because I get to work with funny and talented people. We start from a blank slate, and make it into something great.

HC: What have you learned from being involved in student media?

KA: I’ve learned how to deal with situations under pressure, how to work with other people and compromise. I’ve also learned how to make real life content in a real life setting…also the limits of human exhaustion, and how much coffee I can drink in one day!

HC: You recently took a trip to New York City with other Kent students. Tell me about it!

KA: It was for our Advanced Producning class. We got to tour CNN, Fox, MSNBC and a couple local T.V. stations. My favorite part was standing in 30 Rock, because that’s what I want to do. We also saw the Late Night with Seth Meyers monolouge rehersal, and I almost lost it.

HC: What is your dream job?

KA: My dream job is to write or produce late night comedy, so either The Tonight Show, Late Night, or SNL.

HC: Is there anything else you would like to add?

KA: I’ve genuinely enjoyed my time at Kent State, and when I think about leaving, I really don’t want to.  I really am thankful for all my friends and everyone I’ve meet here!

Follow Kim on social media:

Twitter: ‪@kimchowmein

Instagram: kimchowmein

Erin Keller

Kent State

broadcast journalism x fashion media 
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.