Career

Emily Zappi: Backstage at New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Name: Emily Zappi

Major/Minor: Fashion Merchandising/Fashion Media

Year: Sophomore

Emily Zappi turned one of her dreams into reality. Emily got to work backstage at New York Fashion Week. Her hard work and determination paid off. She got a once and a lifetime opportunity and she is here to share her incredible journey with us today.

HerCampus: Can you describe the atmosphere of fashion week? I know you’ve been to New York before, how was it different from other times you’ve been there?

Emily Zappi: The atmosphere during Fashion Week in New York is unlike anything else. The energy can be felt from anywhere in Manhattan. Everyone is on their street style A game for the entire week.

HC: What shows did you work for?

EZ: I worked for Nicole Miller and Christian Siriano.

HC: How did you get this opportunity?

EZ: Working for fashion week has been a dream of mine ever since I was a little girl. I knew once I started college that I needed to gain experience and network as much as possible. By using connections and also reaching out directly to designers, I was able to snag myself a couple positions backstage.

HC: What role/jobs did you do working in the Nicole Miller show?

EZ: For the Nicole Miller show I worked backstage as a dresser. I was assigned a model and specific look!

HC: How would you describe her collection?

EZ: Nicole Miller’s collection was focused on ready to wear (RTW). Her garments were a mix of florals, metalics, and grunge. There was a lot of embroidery along with other interesting finishes.

HC: How was it working with Christian Siriano?

EZ: Working with Christian Siriano was a blast. He had no problem working alongside his interns, and he made each of us feel important.

HC: What roles/jobs did you have?

EZ: For Christian Siriano, I helped set up the venue (which was gorgeous, BTW) prior to the show. When guests started arriving my job was to help them find their seats. I also ran around doing whatever other tasks were needed! We all worked as a team to get everything done.

HC: Can you describe Christian Siriano’s line/show?

EZ: Christian Siriano’s collection was breathtaking. He specializes in gowns, and he goes above and beyond with each one. He had a total of 72 looks. There was a lot of ruffles, tulle, and bling used. Not only were his garments beautiful, but the show itself was unlike any other. He’s known for being inclusive of his models and showing diversity! Plus size model, Ashley Graham opened his show.

HC: Overall what was the best experience you had working New York Fashion week?

EZ: Not only did I get to fulfill my dream of working backstage during NYFW, but then they let interns watch Christian Siriano’s show. I attended my first NYFW show (Siriano’s 10 anniversary), and that is an experience I’ll never forget! I also got to see supermodel, Coco Rocha, singer, Cardi B, and many other celebrities!

HC: What advice would you give to other fashion majors/girls looking to work in fashion show production or just to be apart of NYFW?

EZ: Fashion production is stressful, and it isn’t always glamorous. More than likely it’s not. If you know what you’re getting yourself into ahead of time, you’ll be set. Make connections wherever you go, and take any opportunity you get. I’ve heard that working in the fashion industry comes down to 3 things — work ethic, personality, and who you know.

HC: What was you favorite look out of both designers you worked for? Or did you have more than one? Can you give me a picture?

EZ: One of my favorite looks from Nicole Miller included a tight skirt and embroidered tee with a an oversize faux fur silver jacket. It screamed NYC street style.

EZ: It’s almost impossible to pick a favorite from Siriano’s. I want everything. However, I cannot get over the red tulle dress that took the runway.

HC: What is your dream show/designer you want to work with in the future?

EZ: It would be a dream come true to work a Dior or Chanel show. Haute Couture fashion production is truly magical. Yet, I’ll take any fashion production opportunity I can get in the future!

HC:Lastly and just for fun, since you’ve visited New York before what are some recommendations you have for things to do, places to shop, and food to eat?

EZ: Soho is the place to be, especially during fashion week! From restaurants to shopping, it has it all. Plus, you’ll probably run into some fashion editors or off-duty models while roaming the streets. The Chelsea Markets is also a cool place to shop if you’ve never been. Max Brenner’s Chocolate Bar and Serendipity 3 are the perfect places to grab dessert after the shows. Their late hours let you satisfy those late night cravings.

Follow Emily! 

Instagram: @missemmymay  

Pinterest: @missemmymay

Shelby Rabideaux is currently attending Kent State University. She is majoring in Digital Media Production and will have a minor in Fashion Media. Her love for entertainment and film came from actively going to concerts. She currently is on a TV show called The Blurb that focuses on entertainment news that her school produces. She dreams to be able to inspire others like how she was inspired. Shelby is currently the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kent State and the President where she strives to share her love for Her Camps with the Kent community.