Things to Do Over the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As the school year comes to a close, it’s understandable for us to want to sleep late, spend our days at the beach, and party all night.  Although a lazy summer sounds amazing after grueling preparation for finals and end-of-the-semester projects, it’s important to stay on track during the summer and keep yourself busy.  Here are a few things to do that can help you have an enjoyable summer while still being productive:

Spend time with family

After being away for almost 8 months, your family definitely misses you!  As we get older, we see our families less, and it’s important to stay close to them.  These are some of the most vital people in our lives; so go for a hike, take your mom/dad out to lunch, or plan a family game night.  You see your friends all the time!

Get a job

If you don’t have an internship, it’s important that you make some extra money to put towards tuition, an apartment, or other amenities.  Host or wait at a local restaurant, lifeguard at the town pool, or pick up some babysitting hours.  Every little bit helps, and you’re likely to still have your nights free (at least for a few days a week).

Get ahead in your coursework

The last thing you want to do after the semester ends is enroll in more classes, but Maymester may be a good option.  The small class size and relaxed atmosphere on campus could help you get ahead in your major, or knock out general requirements.  If you can’t afford it, try taking a class at a community college or university near your home, or enroll in an online class.  It could be better to take a difficult class at a time when you don’t have to worry about your other work as well.

Don’t worry- you’ll have plenty of time for fun this summer!  Your days will be better spent doing something productive, and your wallet or resume will thank you!  Spend time with your family, work up some extra cash, and try to stay on top of your credits.  Don’t waste your summer away sleeping or watching Netflix, but definitely get outside and catch some rays.  Make the best out of these few months, and you’ll be having the time of your life!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.