Seemran Patel ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Seemran PatelYear: FreshmanMajor: EngineeringMinor: Math and Business (in process)Hometown: Rocky Mount, VARelationship Status: I have no idea…single?

When and how did you first get started with painting?I started painting in November 2013. I had no idea how much I loved to paint or if I was even capable of painting well at all. It all started with a heartbreak from a guy–painting was my escape. About how long would you say it takes you to do just one painting?It depends on the size and the details. I can paint something in 30 minutes or an hour or it can take anywhere up to four hours or two weeks if it is big with lots of details. Have you ever sold any of your artwork? If so, what was the experience like?Yes I have. I used to give my paintings away to everyone I liked, but then so many people wanted them and I couldn’t make enough for everyone. But I couldn’t say no!  So I started selling paintings from my room since it was filled with so many that I needed to get rid of. It was an amazing and surprising experience because I never thought my art was appreciated that much. Do you plan on ever pursuing a career in art aside from what you’re studying in school?Not really. I am planning on traveling and seeing the world and painting scenes in person. I want my own personal window-view art room to hang painting scenes from all over the world. What inspires or influences your art work?My thoughts are what inspire/influence my art. I paint when I feel something, usually sad or confused. Sometimes people send me pictures of things that I would want to paint from Twitter or tumblr. 

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.