From the Runway to the Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

“New school year, new you” – or so the saying goes.  After nearly four months of working rigorous part-time jobs, interning at high-profile firms, traveling abroad or maybe just living the good life, school is finally back in session!

But fashion never takes a vacation!   We all get clothing inspiration from somewhere.  Whether it’s the latest issue of InStyle, our favorite celebrity trendsetters (Olivia Palermo!), or even our besties, something or someone influences what we wear. 

A quick glance at the Fall 2011 runway shows reveal – surprise – some quite unusual looks for the upcoming season.  The runway can be intimidating – even the most daring fashionistas are sometimes left perplexed by many of the eye-raising designs.  If you’re someone who takes one look at a runway ensemble and immediately deems it only wearable by Lady Gaga, you’re in luck!  Her Campus JMU is here to give you the 411 on approaching runway looks and totally making them your own (and of course, more budget friendly!).  Here’s some inspiration to keep you going this semester…

Anna Sui – Maxi Dresses and Layering

Busy print, baggy pants and an Aztec-inspired medallion just don’t mesh well (at least not when worn all at once).  I don’t know about you, but whenever I see loose fitting printed pants and a matching top, I’m immediately reminded of pajamas – a not-so-hot look for class!  Although the punchy floral print is favorable, this Anna Sui model’s ill-fitting ensemble is causing her to drown in material.  Sigh.

To fix this look and make it foolproof for class, try wearing a floor grazing maxi dress or skirt.  Not only is the maxi completely on-trend for fall, it’s also much more form fitting.  Cinched at the waist, maxi dresses eliminate the unnecessary bulk that can occur when too many shapeless layers are piled on.  For a polished and classroom-approved outfit, pair it with either a sleek black blazer or leather jacket.  Personalize the look and add some pizzazz by donning a simple gold medallion!  When the temperatures drop, add some tights and you’re all set!

Tip:  Maxis are not just a summer staple!  If you don’t own any long skirts or dresses yet, invest in them (now!) while they’re still on summer clearance.  The Lauren Conrad collection at Kohl’s is a great place to find feminine tops and floral frocks.

[pagebreak]

Rodarte – Lace

Girly and sophisticated, lace should be a staple in every girl’s wardrobe!  While this model’s lace dress looks divine when worn in Rodarte’s runway show, it may come across a bit daunting to some collegiettes™.  Too much lace is never a good thing (especially when it covers you head to toe!). 

The key to achieving this look is to keep the dress loose (full in the skirt, but fitted in the sleeves and around the waist) and the length at the knee or slightly above.  If the lace dress is super short and skin tight, odds are you won’t be making the impression you had in mind.  Remember, you’re going for sweet and chic, not trashy and cheap.

Once you find the ultimate lace dress, there is leeway for you to cater the look to your style.  Either pair it with oxfords and chunky socks for a preppy look or try on some ankle boots to add some edge.   Because the weather will undoubtedly be getting chillier, an oversized chunky knit sweater will make it cool and effortless for class.  If your style is less bohemian, more classic – opt for a smart blazer. 

Tip:  Some great places to find lace dresses include Urban Outfitters, ModCloth, Need Supply (shown above – $58), and vintage shops – try Mint in downtown Harrisonburg!

[pagebreak]

Suno – Mixing and Matching Prints

Prints galore!  Don’t be intimidated by this Suno model’s Frankensteinian hairdo; with a few easy tweaks, her ensemble is completely attainable.  Because the power of prints shouldn’t be underestimated, the silhouettes of what you’re wearing should complement one another.  Aside from the model’s outlandish hair, her entire outfit is shapeless.  Baggy top and bottom + two funky prints = major fashion faux pas! 

If you are one to shy away from eclectic prints, then it’s no surprise that this look is overwhelming. One of the most prevalent runway trends is print-on-print.  Although mixing and matching prints is feared by many collegiettes™, it’s actually very easy to do.  The key to successfully combining prints is to pick ones that share similar color palettes.  As shown above, both the skirt and blouse contain shades of light pink, off-white, and tangerine orange. 

To further maintain a uniform ensemble, select shoes and accessories that are of the same material and color.  A brown leather bag and brown leather oxford shoes look much more homogeneous than a hot pink purse and neon green shoes.  Whenever in doubt about what you’re wearing, do what I do:  add a cardigan, blazer, or jacket in a solid colored hue to offset the intensity of two wild prints. 

Bottom line:  If you’re super creative and have a knack for styling artsy outfits, mixing and matching prints may be for you!

[pagebreak]

Jason Wu – Sharp and Sophisticated

For collegiettes™ who make it their mission to always appear pulled together for 8 am classes, feast your eyes upon Jason Wu’s fall runway show.  It’s quite lust worthy and oozing with inspiration! 

Although this runway look is not as intimidating as some, it is a little daring for class.  To take it down a notch, my first suggestion is to swap out the black pants and patent pumps for a pair of dark skinny leg jeans and pointy toe flats.  The reason why I chose printed pointy toe flats is because they are fierce and give the ensemble personality.   And, not to mention, a lot comfier than 6-inch pumps!   

Since not many collegiettes™ would wear a bow neck blouse to class (who are we, frat boys?!), feminine tops (i.e. ruffles, lace, or anything satin) are a great alternative.  Instead of a blazer, a ladylike black cardigan with white trim (very Chanel-esque) is prim, proper and a huge step up from your run-of-the-mill black cardi.  In all of Jason Wu’s runway looks, an attention to tailoring and detail are what make his designs so exquisite. 

To finish off this flawless look, head over to Forever 21 and accessorize with a pearl embedded ring (Forever 21 – $3.80!) and chain necklace ($6.80).  Impeccably dressed without over doing it – perfect!

Tip:  Splurge on tailored and practical pieces such as a pair of designer jeans (7 For All Mankind and J Brand are fantastic!) or blazers that you know you will wear again and again.  Not only will the fit and quality be superb, they will last longer – what an investment!

[pagebreak]

Marc Jacobs – Polka Dots

Dots, dots and more dots can be used to describe Marc Jacob’s show in a nutshell.  While dots may not be every fashionista’s cup of tea, it is a fun print to play with.  For collegiettes™ looking to add a bit of panache  to their wardrobe, take the dare and go dot-crazy!  Too many dots can be a train wreck waiting to happen.  If you’re a polka dot newbie, don’t fret, they can work for you!

Vary the color and size of the dots that you are wearing.  If your entire outfit consists of large black dots, no one will be able to focus on anything but, well, THE DOTS!  This, we do not want!  The goal is to coordinate an ensemble in which the dots are noticeable yet subtle.  When classmates see you, they should be thinking, “oh, what a cute outfit,” not “wow, what large dots you are wearing!” 

To create a classroom friendly ensemble, start with a skirt (such as the navy blue one shown above) and then find either a jacket or top in a contrasting color.  Since the skirt is blue, a burgundy jacket works well.  Similarly, because the other skirt is white with navy blue dots, a navy blue top with smaller white dots is a perfect match.  When in doubt, a solid colored jacket, cardigan, or blazer (whichever you like!) can be worn to neutralize a totally dot dominated outfit.  Because the polka dots themselves make quite the statement, keep jewelry to a minimum and go for simple shoes.

So the next time you watch a runway show, have no fear.  Be confident, trust your fashion instincts and embrace the fashion-forward collegiette™ inside of you!

Anjerika Wilmer is a senior at James Madison University, pursuing a degree in Art History and Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Journalism. In addition to being a Branch Manager for Her Campus, Anjerika is a contributing writer for Her Campus JMU. Over the summer, she spent five weeks abroad in Vienna, Austria in search of “the Good.” After her inspirational trip to Vienna, Anjerika hopes to see more of the world, specifically Paris and London. Obsessed with all things girly and feminine, nothing makes her happier than classic cardigans, pleated skirts and oxford shoes! A full-fledged fashionista, Anjerika dedicates her spare time to reading fashion magazines, studying runway, blogging and swooning over Olivia Palermo’s impeccable style. As for the future, she plans to attend graduate school and pursue a career in fashion journalism. Moleskine journal in hand, Anjerika is ready to take the fashion world by storm!
Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.