Everything You Need to Know About Off Campus Housing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Time to start looking for a place to live next year. Whether it’s your first time wading into the world of off campus housing or your last, the entire process can be very intimidating.

My fellow classmates were asked to vote, through a Facebook poll, on which housing option they believed to be the best for those who are looking to move off campus. 209 students responded to the poll and it is obvious which options they consider to be the best choice for students.

Cardboard Box Under the Highway

Voted #1 on the Off Campus Housing Facebook poll

Rent per month: $0 per box

Utilities (water and electric): $0 per box

Cardboard Box Under the Highway is one of the most pristine housing complexes coming to Harrisonburg. There are many floor plans available, including one, three or five box rooms. There are no bathrooms included in any of the floor plans, but our local gas stations are known to graciously allow any resident to use their restrooms, and most are cleaner than what male students living off campus are used to. I contacted the housing community representative to get a few words about what students can expect out of this exclusive housing experience.

“The best part about living in a cardboard box under the highway is that it is very private. It might not seem like it would be, but you don’t have noisy neighbors throwing parties and staying up till early hours in the morning. Just the occasional loud truck pass overhead. The worst part about this housing is that there is no worst part. It’s all pretty deplorable, but with rent at $0.00 including utilities, it’s any college student’s dream come true.” – Daniel Tobin, JMU Class of 2017  

Leases are disappearing fast, so please contact your local recycling plant for more information.

If you would prefer a more upscale living arrangement for your school year, JMU students have voted these four housing options to be the best choice for your new home-away-from-home.

Sunchase Apartments at James Madison

Rent Per Month: Dependent on floor plan

Options:

The Grove – 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom, $490-520 per bedroom

The Madison – 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom $520-530 per bedroom (includes private bathrooms for each bedroom)

The Dolly – 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom $520-550 per bedroom (newly furnished)

Utilities (water and electric): Internet & cable included, trash included, water & sewer included. The electric bill for each unit will be divided by four and each resident will receive their own bill.

Students widely agreed that Sunchase is the second best housing option for the upcoming academic year. Sunchase Apartments provides a living space for students at James Madison University and Blue Ridge Community College. They offer four bedroom, four bathroom apartments. Located just off of Reservoir Street at 1941 Sunchase Drive Harrisonburg VA 22801, students can enjoy living only half a mile from the JMU Campus. Each apartment is furnished and includes a private deck.  Internet and cable are available in each room, and the Sunchase Business center offers its residences free printing. The fitness center is open 24/7, allowing you to choose the most convenient time to get a workout in. Cats and dogs are welcome at Sunchase, but at an additional monthly cost. Tanning booths are also offered to the community, giving you the opportunity to be sun kissed all year long.

You can learn more about each floor plan by visiting the Sunchase Apartment websites at http://sunchase.net/live/.

Charleston Townes

Rent Per Month: $514 per bedroom

Utilities: Not included in montly rent, between $25-$30 per month per resident

Coming in at a close third, Charleston Townes is widely loved by JMU students. These three level townhomes include four bedrooms, each with its own bathroom attached. There is an additional half bath on the main, middle floor for guests. Each living level has its own laundry room. The oversized closets make it easy for residents to organize their clothes and shoes so that they can maximize the space available in their bedrooms. Pets are welcome at Charleston Townes with a one time, non-refundable fee, plus a monthly pet rent. There is a small dog park located outside of the clubhouse that features an agility course.

Brianna Cortez, a junior currently living in Charleston Townes, made a short statement on how her experience living here has been so far this semester:

“The best part about living off campus is the freedom! Mainly from RA’s, but it’s also nice to have full amenities such as a full kitchen, individual bathrooms and a bigger bed. The worst part about living off campus is having to remember to pay your rent and utilities on time. Sometimes it can be hard to remember the dates of when everything is due, but that just comes with adulting and having responsibilities.” – Brianna Cortez, JMU Class of 2018

Charleston Townes unfortunately does not have any available leases for the upcoming school year, but there are always people looking for someone to take over their leases. Contact the leasing office for more information on how to become a resident at Charleston Townes.

North 38 Apartments

Rent Per Month: Dependent on Floor Plan

Options:

2 bedroom – $615

3 bedroom – $510

4 bedroom – $485

Utilities: Included in rent

North 38 is the farthest housing complex for JMU students. Located just minutes from downtown, residents are able to escape from the sometimes crazy campus life that many experience. North 38 provides a private shuttle along with public transit to make sure that students can get to class conveniently. There is free Starbucks in the Clubhouse, a 24-hour gym, a game room with pool table, and free printing offered in the business center. There is a full sized washer and dryer in each apartment.

Copper Beech Townhomes

Rent Per Month: Dependent on floor plan

Options:

1 bedroom, 1 bathroom – $730 per month

2 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom – $520 per month

3 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom – $505-$534 per month

4 bedroom, 4.5 bathroom – $475 per month

Utilities: Not included in monthly rent

Copper Beech Townhomes gives students a spacious three story townhome and a shared deck to relax and make their home-away-from-home. The unit features a washer and dryer, carpeted floors, cable, high speed internet and dead-bolt locks. The clubhouse offers a fitness room and a pool, which is always busy with students on hot summer days. The clubhouse also includes a game room with a pool table and two tanning consoles. Outside of the clubhouse are two basketball courts and a sand volleyball court.  Pets are welcome at Copper Beech with a down payment and additional monthly pet rent. There are two bus stops located very close to the townhomes, making traveling to school easy and stress-free. Amanda Becker, a current Copper Beech resident, had a few words to share with potential new residents.

“I hate the wifi, but love the size of my room and that I have my own bathroom!” – Amanda Becker, Class of 2019.

Copper Beech is now offering leases for the 2017-2018 school year. Contact the leasing office for more information.

JMU offers many more housing possibilities, but the students of JMU all agree that the housing complexes listed above are the best options. Regardless of which option you ultimately select, it is never too soon to contact the appropriate leasing office to get the process started. Visit https://offcampushousing.jmu.edu for more information on the other selections JMU has to offer.

Hi friends! Thank you so much for showing interest in my recent articles. I hope you love reading them as much as I love sharing them.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.