DIY: Ways to Cut a T-Shirt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Are you ever sick of plain old t-shirts?!  No matter what the occasion, we always seem to be getting free shirts wherever we go.  Here are a few DIY ways to spice up your tee:

1.     V-Neck

V-Neck is a classic but cute way to cut a t-shirt.  High necks can sometimes be bothersome, and v-necks show some extra skin.  Simply cut a slit in the middle of the t-shirt neck, and cut up from either side.  You can cut around the collar in the back as well to be sure it is even.

2.     Tank Top

Sometimes, short sleeves can get boring.  Cutting a t-shirt into a tank top is a cute way to stay and look cool!  Cut off each sleeve, and cut around the collar as low as you’d like.  For skinnier straps, cut closer towards the neck of the shirt.  You can even make a crop top or tie the back into a racer-back with ribbon!  To ensure symmetry, you can fold your t-shirt in half while cutting the sleeves.

3.     Slits

Slits are a fun way to sexy-fy your t-shirt.  Slits can be placed in either the front or back of the shirt, depending on preference.  Fold your t-shirt in half, but be sure you are only cutting one side of it (unless you want slits on both!).  Cut straight down the fold, as far as you’d like the slit to be long.  Continue to do this, evenly (or randomly) placing slits down your shirt.  Sew strips of fabric around the slits for a cute bow-like look!

4.     Fringe

A personal favorite, fringe is a cute way to create a fun look for any event!  Put a piece of duct or masking tape across the shirt where you want the fringe to come up to.  Then, cut even strips, stopping at the tape.  Continue this process until you cut around the entire shirt.  Don’t be afraid to cut two strips at once (both the front and back of the shirt).  If you really want to change things up, add pony beads to the end of your shirt for some flare.

Have fun with these DIY trends, and don’t be afraid to try your own too!  If you mess up, don’t worry; I’m sure there will be plenty of more free t-shirts where those came from!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.