Dear Nicki Minaj, Pregnancy Isn’t a Joke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Dear Nicki Minaj,

Every April 1st, I write a Facebook post to remind my friends that pregnancy isn’t something to be joked about on April Fool’s Day. This year, I have to write that reminder a little earlier in response to the Instagram post featuring a baby bump you made earlier this week.

Although it hasn’t officially been confirmed that the photo was photoshopped, considering you posted a photo without the baby bump afterward, it makes me believe it was, in fact, fake.

Look Nicki, I understand that Beyonce is getting a whole lot of media attention right now for her recent pregnancy announcement, but faking your own isn’t the right response here. The fact of the matter is, pregnancy is a very sensitive topic for many people and should never be joked about. Women around the world struggle with infertility and miscarriages, many of whom I’m sure are fans of yours and probably saw your post. I can only imagine the hurt they felt seeing a celebrity’s post making a joke out of something so painful for them.

Sincerely,

A Disappointed Fan

19-year-old intersectional feminist on a mission to spread love and encourage girls to embrace their sexuality and bodies. Also on the mission to find the most delicious cup of coffee.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.