Brenda Tapp ‘18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Shes dedicated to service, shes totally #SMADgoals, and she has Facetimed Aaron Carter.

Brenda has accomplished a truly impressive amount in her short time at JMU.

Year: Sophomore

Major: SMAD – Converged Media concentration

Minors: Computer Information Systems and Womens and Gender Studies

Campus Involvement:

• In Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed community service fraternity and within that, on the PR committee

• Works in the basement of Carrier in the Media Resources Department (MADLab) providing assistance at a help desk and teaching classes to fellow students and faculty on media related topics

• Works off-campus downtown interning at JMU Communications, contributing to JMUs official student run blog The Daily Duke(socialmedia.jmu.edu)

• Recently joined Public Relations Student Society of America

• Was a FROG this past 1787

What does MADLab offer students and how are you involved in this?

MADLab: The media mind spaceis in its second year, so I have had the opportunity to be involved since its conception. Its co-led classes taught by students for students, allowing students with no familiarity of programs to learn them in a relaxed atmosphere. So I or one of my coworkers can teach students how to use iMovie for a project and then if they have any other questions, we can help them at the help desk Sun-Thurs 6-10pm. You can also check out equipment in the basement that we can offer help with.

Youve already accomplished so much in media at JMU; what do you hope to accomplish in your next three years?

The end goal is definitely to go to the JMU: Summer in LA program. Id also love to go abroad to do an internship while at JMU. As far as self-improvement goes, I just really want to learn Adobe Creative Cloud really well because I dont have a specific interest in SMAD; I like video, I like graphic design, I like photography, I just want to learn how to do every part of a project by myself really well.

How did you get involved at the Daily Duke?

Last spring I saw the internship on Job Link, and I thought it was way too cool for me, but I applied anyway. I ended up being selected, which Im really excited about. What makes it unique from other blogs like Her Campus is that videos and photography are a big focus rather than written articles. I personally hope to get into making videos. We want  to reach students and potential students; anything that makes JMU unique, we want to talk about it. I feel so lucky to have gotten the opportunity. Its a really cool work environment.

What are your career aspirations after college?

I have this one job that I really like the sound of called an Interactive Media Specialist, and they are professionals who are knowledgeable in both graphic communication and web programming. So they do web-related stuff and design-related stuff, which I feel like the Converged Media concentration and the CIS minor are perfect for. Im hoping to get involved at a cool company, working with other creative young people.

Since you live and breathe SMAD, how do you bring that to other aspects of your life?

With APO, Im on the PR committee so I was involved in gaining attention from new members during rush. I helped edit around 40 profile pictures for brothers to fit our rush theme. In my own time, Ive made graphics and slogans for the past two rushes. Outside of that, I used my editing skills to edit my headshot in a funny way, with a collage of dogs in the background. It showed my creativity and that dogs are my passion; I think it helped get me my internship.

Starbucks or Dunkin?

DUNKIN. May I please have a large black iced coffee with french vanilla swirl? Thank you.

Favorite social media platform?

It used to be Twitter, but I think its Instagram now. Follow me at @_tappwater.

Ideal vacation spot?

Either LA or NYC because Ive never been to either, but I think I could potentially live in either place someday so Id love to scope it out.

Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.