Allyn Letourneau ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Year: Junior

Major: Biophysical chemistry

Hometown: Suffolk, VA

Relationship status: Taken

So you participated in 4K for Cancer, can you tell us a little more about that?

4K for Cancer is a nonprofit organization that benefits the Ulman Cancer Fund, which is deticated to providing emotional support networks for young adults battling cancer. Each participant was required to raise $4,500 to participate in the program. Along the trip, we stopped at various cancer centers throughout the country and performed service by delivering chemotherapy care bags and spending time with cancer patients. The trip took 49 days and our team collectively covered over 4,200 miles on foot.

What was your favorite part about running from San Francisco to Baltimore?

We went to a lot of really cool places such as Grand Teton National Park, Omaha Zoo, Lake Michigan, Chicago and Pittsburgh, but being immersed in a community of people all similarly impacted by cancer and serving with them was just as breathtaking as the sights we saw.

What else do you enjoy besides running?

I enjoy playing soccer, snowboarding, music, extended periods of time at the beach, hanging in my Eno and cooking.

What’s your favorite thing to cook?

Brownies.

What do you want to do after you graduate?

I’m looking toward applying to medical school and possibly joining the Navy to become a doctor.

What do you love about JMU?

Our community is so expansive and diverse, and everywhere I go there’s always somebody that I’m friends with or am easily able to make friends with. Everyone is so fun-loving, positive and a reflection of their hopes and dreams.

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.