5 Things We’re Glad We Left in Middle School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I can vividly remember my favorite sixth grade outfit–a brown v-neck, my camo mini skirt over brown leggings, and my sand UGGs (which I still have, btw). Although sixth grade me may have rocked this outfit, I’m glad that camo mini skirt doesn’t fit me anymore! And I’m also glad that we left these 5 things in middle school.

1. Skirts over leggings

I’m not sure what made us think this was a good idea (or was that just me?), but I’m thankful that maxi skirts have overtaken mini skirts with leggings.

2. Tank tops over othershirts

I rocked this trend as did most other girls from 4th-7th grade. Spaghetti straps were against the dress code though, of course.

3. Graphic t-shirts

You know the drill–that huge wall at Delia’s that we used to rummage through for the perfect tee. Although “I love nerds” may have been cute back then, we’re thankful this is no more.

4. Gaucho Pants

Worn with your favorite tie-up sweater (see below), gaucho pants were cute and comfortable. Despite their practicality, it’s a blessing yoga pants have stepped in.

5. Tie-up cargdigans

I’m not sure what the draw with these was, but thankfully modern cardigans tend to look more like sweaters and less like bras with long sleeves.

Although we may have worked these items in middle school, we can all be glad to see them go. But I did keep my gaucho pants…you know, just in case they come back!

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.