5 Easy DIYs to Personalize Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Whether this is your first year living in a dorm room, or you’re an upperclassman who is living on campus again, check out these easy ways to put a personal touch on your new living space. We all know how sad it is to look at those plain white cinderblock walls every day in your dorm room, so now is the time to get creative and show off who you are. Here are some fun and easy ways to customize your room!

1. Painted canvases: If you are someone who has many different interests, this is a cute way to show off what you are into. For this fun art project all you need is a blank canvas and paint! Depending on how much space you want to cover you can paint a large or small canvas. The best part about this project is whatever picture or design that is on the canvas is totally up to you.

2. Hang a map: Have you ever dreamed of traveling the world and going to exotic or foreign places? If so, where to? This personalized idea lets you show off where you want to travel to in a great way. For this project, hang up a large paper map and then mark off all the places you want to go. I did this by placing colorful gems on the countries to add some sparkle to the map. If you want to make it even more personal you can add your favorite travel quotes right onto the map.

3. Painted desk hutch: This DIY combines personal style and functionality. Many people put desk hutches on their desk to increase storage space and to help stay organized, which is a great idea. These hutches are the perfect thing to decorate and make your own. One idea is to decorate a hutch to show off your school spirit like the one pictured below.

4. Wooden letters: Creating personalized wooden letters is an easy way to decorate your dorm room. For this project you need any sized wooden letters and paint. You can paint the letters in fun and bright colors that spell out a word or just hang up letters that are your initials. 

5. Dream catcher: This popular symbol makes for a great wall embellishment. To make your very own dream catcher you will need a metal ring, beads, feathers, suede string, and artificial sinew string (the thin string that goes in the middle of the ring). Have fun with making your dream catcher unique and maybe it will even help to keep any bad dreams away!