The 4 Stages of Changing Your Major, as told by Elle Woods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Many of us have changed our majors throughout our college careers, or at least thought of changing them on a couple occasions. Here are the stages most of us probably went through (including myself recently).

1. Initial Excitement

You made the first step of the decision making process! *Cue the montage of excessive trips to the library researching your new major*

2. Denial

Okay, so you’ve made up your mind and are done posting inspirational posts on all of your social media accounts about the big change. Now you set up an appointment with your advisor and see all the new classes and requirements you have to fulfill to graduate. And the excitement fades…

3. Questioning Everything

Now all of the questions start to flood in your head. Did I make the right decision? What if I’m not cut out for this kind of thing? What if I can’t graduate on time?!

4. Peace of mind

But like Elle Woods would say, we must always have faith in ourselves. You know you made the right decision and you know you have what it takes to be a boss in your new major.

Take some advice from our favorite spunky blonde and kick some butt in your major. Take the leap if you haven’t quite decided to make the change yet!

I am an English major obsessed with fashion, iced coffee, and Disney movies. You can most likely find me in a coffee shop editing on my computer, or taking #OOTD pics for my instagram.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.