Why You Should Go to Concerts in B’More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

I rarely went to see live music before coming to Baltimore. Having been here for a few years now, I realize that the live music scene is one of the best things Baltimore has to offer. Contrary to what you might hear on a tour (apologies to all my tour guide friends), it can be difficult to find activities to do on the weekends at Hopkins. Parties can get repetitive, and if the frat life isn’t for you, your options are narrowed down even more. Here’s why Charm City’s music is totally worth it.

Not Just Hipster Music—But also a lot of great hipster music

Baltimore is often acclaimed (or eye-rolled) for its tiny hole-in-the-wall dives that feature unknown artists that play dubstep accordion (or something like that). In all seriousness, B’more’s amateur musicians are often fantastic, and have fresh, indie styles that you may not have a chance to hear anywhere else. The creativity is palpable, and it’s worth it to take it in as much as you can (and get cheap seats before dubstep accordion gets famous). On another note (ha.), several clubs feature DJ’s and electronic artists, great for dancing. In the midst of it all, big name artists visit B’more as well. As you’ve probably heard, The Hop recently partnered with Pier 6 to bring in Iggy Azalea, an apt follow-up from performances in recent years by Avicii and Ke$ha. Other artists that have visited the area recently include Panic at the Disco and Krewella.

Where to Go

Baltimore is great for its intimate venues that allow for a unique concert experience. Not only are the prices far more reasonable making semi-frequent trips more realistic, but you get to see the performers up closer than you would at a larger venue. One of my favorite venues is Ram’s Head Live, because they feature some fantastic performers at a great price, in an easily accessible location in the Inner Harbor. Other notable venues include Pier 6 (when it’s open), Ottobar, Power Plant (though events are often 21+), Baltimore Soundstage, and for classical music, the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall. Calendars of events can usually be found online. Stay updated by following the venues on social media.

Use Your Experience

Want to start a column in a publication reviewing local music? Considering music journalism as a career? Always hoped to pursue photography? Looking to spice up your own songwriting but lacking inspiration? These are all great ways in which attending concerts can help you expand horizons both on and off campus. You’ll be able to explore Charm City with a purpose, and maybe eventually venture to DC to see what it has to offer as well.

Upcoming shows:

·      Baltimore Folk Fest—October 17th https://www.facebook.com/events/697566046994786/

·      Jukebox the Ghost (Ottobar)—November 14th

·      John Butler Trio (Ram’s Head Live)—November 18th

·      Dillon Francis (Ram’s Head Live)—November 22nd

Photo credit http://llymphoto.tumblr.com