“Where Are They Now?” Mother Jones’ Jenna McLaughlin ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

1.     Major/Year: Writing Seminars, 2014

2.     How do you think the Writing Seminars program prepared you for a career in journalism?

The Writing Seminars was the thing that first attracted me to Johns Hopkins because I loved to write. I didn’t really know what I wanted to write about, in what medium or what context at that point. So coming to Hopkins and having small classes with extremely talented peers, who were able to give me helpful, objective commentary alongside stellar professors—really helped me develop my writing.

I didn’t decide I wanted to be in journalism until around junior year, and when I did, I was met with professors who were willing to do anything to help me succeed, like Tristan Davies, Wayne Biddle, Robert Roper and the late and wonderful Gregory Kane. Their support and attention was really what gave me the edge in the program. I would love if there were more journalistic classes offered at Hopkins.

3.     What does it mean to be a fellow at Mother Jones?

Being a Fellow at Mother Jones is many things, and it would be hard to sum it up in just a word or two. And it’s not an internship! I’m paid, and have the chance to advance further—which is an important step up from unpaid internships.

Since arriving here, I’ve been deeply involved in a hands-on training environment, where I fact-check, research, and learn about everything from Photoshop and digital media to interview skills and journalistic voice. In theory, after I receive those lessons, I’m pretty much free to do what I want with them—take on stories, interview sources, pitch blog posts, work with editors, investigate. When I was hired, my editor told me that “making the extra call” goes a long way, and that’s what I’ve really been trying to do so far.

I’ve managed to produce around 15 bylines already, and have many projects in the works. One of my stories was picked up by Vanity Fair, and I just got individually asked to be on an international news panel to speak about my work. So, essentially, being a Fellow means a foot in the door, with a little help—after that, it’s up to me, and that’s the way I like it.

4.     What does a typical day look like for you?

I’ve learned that a typical day in journalism pretty much doesn’t exist, because you work according to the news, which is unpredictable and varying. Some days, I get to the office around 8:30 and get started early on a project, post a daily blog post photo, or compose the weekly newsletter. Other days, I’ll be sending out emails to sources and waiting on their reply. Some days, I’ve been on the phone interviewing for hours. It’s exciting most of the time, until there’s a slow news day—then there’s a lot of online scanning for the next story!

5.     What is your favorite part of your job?

My favorite part about the job is that, if I have a good idea and I can persuade an editor that it’s interesting, I can write about pretty much whatever I want. I’ve written about everything from the Islamic State to GMO labeling issues to feminism in comic books, and a lot more. I’ve been working on doing stories that relate to one another in preparation of one day having my own “beat” or topic that I cover almost exclusively, but as I enter into the field, I’m very free to explore. I really love that.

6.     What was the job application process like for you, and do you have any tips for students looking to break into media?

I’m not going to lie to those of you looking to become journalists—it’s hard. I started applying for jobs during spring break of senior year instead of going off to the beach, and I spent most weeknights writing cover letters and tweaking my resume. I free-lanced everywhere I could, made sure I was doing well at my internship in DC during the semester (where I commuted twice a week to DC from Baltimore), and networked like I’ve never networked before.

Start using LinkedIn NOW, and start looking into places you might want to write for right away. Send them a pitch or two, see if you can get feedback. Make sure you do at least a few internships, maybe varying medium from newspaper to magazine (my strategy). Send out every single application, and have someone else look it over.

Make sure you demonstrate knowledge of the publication you’re hoping to work for when you write your cover letter. When I was hired, my knowledge of individual writers and topics they covered on staff was something that impressed my editor. Make a website for yourself, and get someone who’s good at graphic design to take a look. Start blogging. Write every day. I can’t stress enough just being incredibly persistent.

7.     What is the best piece of advice you’ve received?

I think I’d have to say that the best piece of advice I’ve ever received came to me from my parents, when they always encouraged me to work hard for what I wanted. Talent is important, but work ethic and going the extra mile, writing the extra story and making the extra call, is what will separate you from the pack. Be curious, work hard. 

Kate Dwyer is a Writing Seminars/Art History double major from New York. She loves coffee, art museums, and thunderstorms, but nothing's better than a night of good friends and fun. She currently works as an entertainment intern at ELLE, and has interned for Sports Illustrated and Macmillan Publishers in the past. As a freelancer, Kate has edited a cookbook, cowritten a children's book about a poodle, and worked as a production assistant on a Tina Fey movie. To learn more about her upcoming projects, visit her website at www.kate-dwyer.com and follow her on Twitter/Instagram @thewritekate.