Top European Trends to Start Wearing Around Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

A semester in Europe can teach you a lot of things- maybe you’ll pick up on cultural differences, gain insights into your own strengths…or maybe what you’ll take away is a whole new “abroad closet” to lust after.

From London to Barcelona to Amsterdam to Paris and back again, there are certain street style trends that keep popping up this year. Spotted around a university campus, on the underground, or at work meetings, there are some killer trends that most people west of the Atlantic just haven’t caught on to yet.

Here are the easiest and most important European looks you should try out this semester—go ahead and feel global, without ever having to pick up a passport.

Faux Fur Jackets

Sarah Mall

The best way to deal with temperamental European weather is a faux fur jacket. Used on runways and being sold in “High Street” stores, this is one item that is making a mark. The color options are endless for this polished piece, plus fur can be used to elevate jeans and Converse just as easily as it can play up the luxury for a night look. Take a cue from shoppers in Barcelona—try opting for a coat with thin lining. It works well with coastal weather and will last you past Intersession adventures!

Knee Slit Black Jeans

Pepa Mack

This may be a look that feels more familiar, but it’s not just for the vintage shopper or skatepark regular any more. Everyone is rocking the distressed look, but like all things European fashion, this time it’s just done better. Channel the classy feel of international cities by delicately slicing your own pair, or invest in a pre-damaged version from online stores. By keeping your loose threads to a minimum and restricting the cut to just the kneecap, you can easily throw on any kind of footwear.

Sheer Tights- with everything!

Closet Full of Clothes

If you’re ever lucky enough to be packing for Europe, tights are the first thing you should reach for. A sheer, black pair is a staple in the wardrobe of countries across the continent- this is an item that transcends age, weather, everything! You name the event, and they’ll be in tights. This year has seen the hosiery pop up as a transition piece from winter to spring under a pair of jean shorts, or as the go-to accessory for a night out at an experimental cocktail bar. Europe seems to have realized that when it comes to fashion, sometimes a little mystery goes a long way. Go for a more opaque shade when layering underneath skirts and shorts like Parisians. Avoid runs by putting them in the freezer before wears, and spritzing signs of trouble with hairspray–two tricks Europeans swear by!

Colorful Full-Length Coats

Closet Full of Clothes

Peacoats may have originated in London, but things have moved way beyond your average wool jacket. Take a page out of the bold books of UK residents and opt for a mix of colors and fabrics, while keeping that same striking length. To nail the trend yourself, it’s important to look for clean shapes and lines; minimal buttons and pockets please! Long coats should be worn open, and if this leaves you chilly, reach for a layered scarf or sweater before you dare zip up.

Men’s Scarves

Executive Style

Europe is a hotbed for new men’s fashion trends, partly because those with style are not afraid to accessorize. A simple way to inject culture into your wardrobe is a light neck scarf. With plenty of patterns to choose from, a scarf can make a handsome pairing with a jacket, sweater, or t-shirt. The “neckerchief” can be made from a tougher fabric, i.e. a bandana, and can actually add a rugged edge to an everyday wardrobe. For those wanting to be classically European– reach for a Parisian cravat for a professional look, or take a cue from Brit bands and try an elongated ribbon for a nod to rock-n-roll Mods. Gilman isn’t ready for ‘em!

Adidas– and all other trainers!

Stockholm Streetstyle

Time to put away your run-down Vans and Converse and pick out a pair of proper “trainers” to get you to that dreaded class in Olin. Although workout clothes are still not accepted as real outfits in cities like Prague and Madrid, the love is certainly strong for athletic brand footwear. Adidas has a foothold in all major European hubs, as does Nike with its latest collections of sleek running options. The Adidas Stan Smith in green is the top choice judging purely on numbers, but to convert to the cross-continental fashions, check out slick suede options like Rihanna’s line of Creepers for Puma- this is just one more rising 2016 Fall trend.