“I’ma Take Your Grandpa’s Style”: Thrift Shopping in Hampden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

“The fashion of the world is to avoid cost, and you encounterit.” William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Billy couldn’t have said it any better, hitting the nail on the head as college students attempt to cut down their spending.  “But the parties! The interviews! The yacht galas (said no college student ever)!”  So why not take a note from the past, a break from the mall, and hit up the thrift stores right in Hampden? Not only can you buy some awesome vintage clothing and accessories, but you also don’t have to sell your first born to do it. Armed with an iPhone and comfy walking shoes, my roommate and I set out to Avenue Antiques to bring you some of Baltimore’s hottest affordable thrift finds.

Need a business casual outfit for a presentation? We’ve got it! Jacket $18, shoes $5 (!!!), skirt $24, clutch $14. 

Once again, it’s the time of year to start begrudgingly checking “yes” on those holiday party RSVP’s. You might as well look stunning while Grandma’s getting drunk off some eggnog. Dress $25 (modeled by yours truly).

If you’re in the mood to look like a Vogue model casually dodging paparazzi on the streets of London, we’ve got you covered.  This ended up being our favorite outfit of the day. Quilted purse: $14, Jacket: $35, Hat: Originally $14, BUT on sale for $7

This spunky (and secular!) holiday sweater is perfect for transitioning into wintertime. Sweater $16.

Avenue Antiques is located at 901 W 36th Street in Hampden. Special thanks to Arabiye Artola for being a hot model and letting me use her iPhone camera (because my 2010 Env 3 was just not cutting it).

Peace, love, gator shoes.