How to Prevent Breaking-Up During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Finals:

•The only time of the year when everyone is acting just as irrationally and insane

as you are

Symptoms:

•Noticing carpet-burns from last night’s sleep on the MSE D-Level floor

•Finding out what it feels like to be nocturnal

•Spending the last remnants of your semester cash on espresso shots and Dirty Chai Lattes

Let’s face it:

•You’re hungry.

•You’re tired.

•You’re stressed.

And just when you’re about to spiral into pure outrage and over-exhaustion, your significant other innocently shows up at your door.

[*Knock* ^ *Knock*]

Now, this situation can play out in one of two ways:

•Option 1) You angrily flip out on him or her for no reason at all and slam the door in his or her face. (…which of course prompts a GIANT argument that you must later resolve ON TOP of studying for that final early tomorrow morning).

•Option 2) You take a deep breath, forget about that impossible discrete math proof, and invite him or her in for awhile.

Clearly finals time can take a toll on any relationship. And if your significant other has YET to see your inner insanity, then he or she sure as hell will be in for a wild and unexpected surprise.

But have no fear; I’ve compiled five easy ways to maintaining your relationship during finals week, while simultaneously acing all of your exams:

1. Stock up on your “happy foods”

Use whatever guilty pleasures these may be (i.e. Kit-Kats, Smartfood, pretzels)

as ammo just when you’re about to explode like a grenade.

2. Offer to have take-out boxes from the FFC for dinner

If you’re too stressed out for a sit down meal with your bae, but afraid he or she

will take this as a sign of you avoiding him, offer to take-out boxes from the FFC

for a quick and painless dinner.

3. Plan ahead!

I know for some this may seem like an impossible feat, but planning ahead and

making a study schedule for yourself is incredibly helpful. By laying out what

needs to be studied each day, you can find ample time to hang out with your sig other!

4. Ask him or her to workout with you

After sitting listlessly for hours and hours in Brody, you need to get your heart-

rate up and keep the oxygen flowing. Ask bae if he or her wants to take some time off and go for a healthy run or a quick trip to the gym!

5. Take a step back and look in a different perspective

At the end of the day, killing yourself for any exam is not worth ruining the

special bond between of your relationship. Take a step back, breathe, and remind

yourself just how lucky you are to have someone this special in your life. 

Megan DiTrolio is a writing seminars major at Johns Hopkins University.