jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to De-Stress as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

In her article “How One University is Working to Make Student Leaders More Resilient”  Kelly Field, a senior reporter for higher level education policy, explores the advancing issue of declining morale in today’s college generation. She interviews Tim Davis, the current professor for resilient leadership at the University of Virginia, to get an empirical opinion on the depletion of self-esteem and consequently the increase in the use counseling services on campus. Tim Davis left his position as former director of the counseling services to teach this course with the mindset of instilling a strong sense of self in the students in the “middle of the curve, instead of waiting” for them to join the ten percent of students who need mental health services. I wholeheartedly agree with this progressive view. Davis is attempting to inhibit the problem before it propagates. As Davis mentioned in his interview, parents of the current generation are coddling in nature. The ethos of the parental community, ‘knee-jerk reaction,’ is to “[head] off struggles for their kids.” While this is “well-intentioned,” the children are correspondingly ill-equipped to handle their own problems. As a product of this generation and a current college student, I can attest to the fact that it is challenging to handle our own problems without the compensation of our parents. If not handled correctly, being left in that vulnerable state generates a spiraling cycle of self-doubt. By attacking this issue head on, Davis is simply instilling in young minds that is it okay to mess up. He is publicizing that mistakes are a necessary evil, in order to grow we must learn from the hardships that encumber us, just as long as we bounce back and become “resilient leaders.”

I am a senior Computer Science and Cognitive Science student who is passionate about writing!