Healthy Twists to 3 of Your Favorite Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

1)    Pizza

With the white bread crust, sugar-laden sauce, and salty cheese, pizza can often be less than a healthy choice for your next meal. While one piece of pizza may not do much damage calorie or health-wise, how often do you really only have one slice? Instead of buying from your local pizza place, put in the extra effort to make your own, much healthier version! Look for a whole-wheat pizza crust to increase fiber, protein, and vitamins. Top with a lower-sugar pizza sauce or swap it all together with some simple sliced tomatoes. On top, add some low-fat cheese, such as mozzarella and parmesan. To really vamp up the nutritional content of your pizza, top with plenty of colorful and tasty vegetables! Cook on high and enjoy your healthy twist on pizza. 

2)    Macaroni and Cheese

Macaroni and cheese is a soul food favorite that is enjoyed any time of year. Unfortunately, this side dish packs very little nutritional benefits and can quickly amount to hundreds of extra calories. To make this dish more filling and healthy, swap out the high-carb white noodles for fiber-packed whole grain elbow macaroni. If you really want to cut down on calories and fat, switch to a low-fat version of your favorite cheese!

3)    Ice Cream

Though many ice creams these days are labeled “low-fat” or “sugar-free,” these claims do not necessarily mean these products are any healthier than your regular ice cream. Low-fat ice creams are often packed with high amounts of sugar to replace the lack of fat, while sugar-free or low-sugar ice creams are injected full of artificial sweeteners. Fortunately, there is an alternative that is delicious, more nutritious, and easy to make! Just freeze a couple of cut up bananas, throw them in a blender or food processor, and you’ll be left with a surprisingly creamy ice cream alternative. Add your favorite healthy toppings, like fruit, nuts, or peanut butter, and you’ll have a delicious treat that won’t harm your health or your waistline. 

Alyssa is currently a junior at Johns Hopkins University majoring in public health. She is also a pre-med student, who hopes to pursue a career in primary care. She has been interested in nutrition and fitness for over 6 years and hopes to be able to use her passion and knowledge in these areas to help others live the happiest and healthiest lives possible.