HC Abroad: It’s Far from “Over”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

For Those of Us Who Have Studied Abroad in the Fall, It’s Far From “Over”

Or, Why Drake’s Hit Defines Our Life Right Now

Can you believe that it has been a year since we went to the Study Abroad Fair and made our decisions about where we were going to spend our fall semesters?  Hearing about all of my friends getting accepted to their programs fills me with overwhelming nostalgia.

I spent the last semester studying abroad in Rome, and it was one of the best times of my life. I focused so hard on adapting to an Italian lifestyle, and in many ways, I believe I succeeded. I saw a lot of the world, and learned in my favorite way: traveling.

When I first came back from abroad, I was all, “ROCK, FLAG, AND EAGLE!” like Charlie from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.  I had some solid home time and now I’m back in Baltimore. But since then, I have been trying to get back into the swing of things.  I keep running into friends and getting asked the same question, “How does it feel to be back?” 

The answer is always that I loved it in Rome but it is good to be back. I miss Europe so much. I miss the people I met and the freedom I had to explore a new home and the belief that the world was my ostrica (oyster in Italian).  But, I am constantly reminded of all of the brilliant and wonderful people who go to my school and how happy they make me.  They have helped me adjust back to campus life, which is the complete opposite of life in Rome. 

It hasn’t been easy. And honestly, what helps this situation the most is looking through photos, finding scraps of tickets from U-Bahn stations or funiculars stowed in coat pockets, and talking about my semester with anyone who will listen. Oh, and discovering anthems.

Fall abroad ladies, last semester was our time. But who says the spring semester will be any different? The chorus of Drake’s song “Over” is my post-abroad anthem because it perfectly reflects these sentiments:

I know way too many people here right now that I didn’t know last yearwho the f*** are y’all?

Truth. Who are you people? You can’t all be freshmen. I see so many people I don’t know. It’s like this campus doesn’t make any sense to me anymore, she said dramatically. 

I swear it feels like the last few nights we’ve been everywhere and backbut I just can’t remember it all 

If by “last few nights” you mean “last few months,” yes. I was so fortunate to many major cities and cute towns in various countries. I loved it all and I can remember it all. I have pictures. But there is some feeling in the back of my mind that these memories will fade.

What am I doing, what am I doing?

I keep questioning my schedule and how I spend my time. Sometimes I feel like I won’t match the groove I had before I left. But then I think, the groove will come back. Just focus on your own happiness.

Oh yeah, that’s right, I’m doing me, I’m doing me 

I’m making this semester the best it can be for me. I’m ticking things off of my Baltimore bucket list, like going to Pete’s Grille and Blue Moon Cafe.  I’m getting involved in things that I’ve always wanted to, like maybe radio, and trying to re-evaluate what activities make me happy.  Also, I love saying the phrase “I’m doing me,” but I hate when people tell me to “do me.” Thank you for your permission. 

I’m living life right now manand this what I’mma do ’til it’s over’til it’s over, it’s far from over

I keep one foot in my last semester and one foot in this semester. I refuse to forget, I think about fabulous my Hopkins friends are and how lucky I am to be here, and I’m still working on decorating my room with all of my abroad pictures.

The other verses in this song are about clubbing and aren’t entirely relevant to this article, unless you did a lot of clubbing in Europe and miss it. Actually, the part when he raps about throwing hundreds when he should be throwing ones? Hits a bit close to home. I’m broke. Doesn’t mean I won’t splurge a couple of times (the International Spy Museum in D.C. costs HOW MUCH?).

Everywhere I went in Europe I thought, “I’ll be back.” Who’s stopping me? I can’t wait until the next time I’m overseas. I’ve got the travel bug. It’s far from over.