andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

Next semester I will be studying abroad in Madrid, taking classes taught in Spanish, living with host families who will also be speaking only in Spanish, and immersing myself in an entirely foreign culture. I am excited yet anxious about what will happen abroad.

I have always wanted to study abroad and having learned Spanish for thirteen years, it was only natural for me to choose to go to a Spanish-speaking country. Talking about it with my friends and parents and thinking about applying were all very exciting to me. Here I was taking the chance to go to a different country and see the world! What was not to love about it?

The Telegraph

Now that I have been accepted into the program and am starting to fill out all the paperwork and formalities, the reality of studying abroad has begun to sink in. I am still excited to have such a wonderful opportunity but the fear of the unknown has begun to sink in. What if I can’t understand anybody in class or at home? What if I can’t communicate with people? What if the classes are too hard because they’re taught in a different language? Add that to the fact that I tend to be quiet and lean more introverted than extroverted, the nerves are at a high. But despite all my worries, I know that they’re only natural, that it’s normal to be a little anxious about the experience. Living abroad and meeting new people are certainly exciting but bound to be slightly nerve-wracking for everyone.

So as I fill out my paperwork and prepare myself to live on a different continent for a semester, I remind myself of how excited I am to do so and the lifetime experiences and memories I’ll gain. Todo vale la pena.

Class of 2019 student athlete dog lover Chipotle consumer