9 Smart Study Snacks to Get You through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

It’s officially finals period here, which means long(er) nights in the library and even more stress than usual. Between all of the exams, papers, and presentations, it can be difficult enough to find time to sleep, let alone feed yourself properly. But before you reach for the Easy Mac, Bagel Bites, buckets of CharMar candy, or whatever other junk that gets written off at this time of year for “stress eating” purposes, check out these nine recipes (one for each day of finals!) for snacks that you can easily make ahead, and will keep you properly fueled and able to tackle whatever this finals period has in store for you! 

1. Banana Oat Snack Cake

Bananas, oats, and cinnamon make this a great option for a grab-and-go breakfast, a quick afternoon snack, or even dessert. 

2. Hazelnut Mocha Trail Mix

The chocolate covered espresso beans in this trail mix will give you just the caffeine buzz you need to keep going.

3. Cranberry and Pumpkin Seed Energy Bars

The combination of nuts, oats, seeds, and fruit in these bars have everything you need to power through a lengthy study session. Plus, they have a lot less added sugar than most store-bought bars.

4. Baked Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet and salty at the same time, these chips use very little oil and are baked (not fried) making them an ideal healthy snacking option. Sweet potatoes are also filled with Vitamin A, potassium, and fiber, all of which will keep you happy and healthy through all of your studies. 

5. Kale and Goat Cheese Frittata Cups

These mini frittatas can be made ahead, and are another great option for a breakfast that requires no cooking in the morning. If kale or goat cheese aren’t really your thing, swap in your favorite veggie/cheese combo! (Also, they’re mini and totally adorable!) 

6. Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas

A cup of chickpeas has a whopping 39 grams of protein, which is essential for brain function. These roasted chickpeas are totally delicious and also portable, making them the ideal snack to sneak into the library with you! 

7. Nutella Energy Bites

Sometimes you need to indulge a little during a stressful time like finals. These energy bites and their Nutella goodness allow you to do so, but without feeling guilty about it. 

8. Peanut Butter and Banana Overnight Oats

Overnight oats are another excellent way to avoid cooking in the morning and still make sure you’re eating right even at breakfast. This recipe is vegan and uses almond milk, but you can swap in your favorite milk, and even add a few tablespoons of Greek yogurt for an extra protein boost. 

9. Cinnamon Honey Green Tea Smoothie

When coffee just doesn’t cut it anymore, switch things up by blending green tea into a smoothie. The antioxidants and caffeine will give you the energy boost you need, and the cinnamon is sure to wake you right back up. 

Best of luck to all during finals, and don’t forget to feed your brain and body the right way! 

Asia is a Public Health Studies major and Entrepreneurship and Management minor hailing from Brooklyn, NY. She is rarely without a cup of coffee in her hand, and dedicates a significant portion of her thoughts to various aspects of food (including but not limited to cooking/baking, eating, and photographing it). Asia fills her spare moments by binge-watching whatever looks interesting on Netflix, impulse buying kitchen gadgets on Amazon, and obsessing over her Bernese Mountain Dog, Lilly. Check her out on Instagram @asiacol!