5 Umbrellas That Won’t Get Stolen at the FFC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

If, by the time you graduate, you haven’t lost an umbrella at the black hole that is the Fresh Food Café, consider yourself lucky. The wall of cubbies to store your umbrella in seconds as a consignment shop where the unprepared steal others’ umbrellas or others mistakenly grab yours (because nearly everyone has a black umbrella). Instead, here are some options that aren’t likely to be stolen from the FFC and could work for you.

1. Garbage bag: The dorms provide garbage bags the first day you move in; one already in the can and one extra. You can take the extra bag and put it over your head after cutting out holes for the eyes. It’s basically a free poncho!
  2. Orgo textbook: The textbook is a staple in your bag so you can definitely use this as an umbrella. And since you’ve already laminated the pages so that your tears can roll off, the entire book is waterproof making it an ideal choice. Besides, who’s going to want to take an orgo textbook?
  3. Amazon Prime box: Amazon is notorious for shipping tiny items in massive boxes. Why not unfold the box and hold it over your head? You’re a college student! If you don’t have Prime boxes, you aren’t taking advantage of that free 2-day shipping.
  4. FFC plates: Stealing, sorry borrowing, utensils from the FFC isn’t unheard of so why not take it to the next level and grab a plate? You can take the plate and cover your head with it and bring it back to your dorm to eat off of. The best part? Exposing it to the rain is basically the same thing as washing your plate, right?
  5. Tracking chip: Buy a tracking chip and attach it to your umbrella. That way when someone takes it, you can hunt that jerkwad down and take back what’s yours.